Thread: Which Linux distribution will work on Dell Latitude E5410

Which Linux distribution will work on Dell Latitude E5410

I have purchased a new Dell Latitude E5410 that is having Intel Core i7 with 2GB RAM and 320 HD. I wanted to install Linux on my laptop but I think that there are some issues with the GPU. I have tried installing various distros but none of them are able to work properly or even there are some distros which are not ready to get itself install also. So I would like to know that what will the best specific Linux distros that will smoothly run on this laptop. I want this linux to get installed quickly so that I get enough security on my laptop.

Re: Which Linux distribution will work on Dell Latitude E5410

Hey dear friend I would like to know which are all the linux distros that you have tried and what is the error that you are getting with them. Also, which operating system is your Dell Laptop is currently having and whether it is performing smoothly or is there any problem with that also. I think that the Dell laptop that you have purchased should be able to hold any kind of linux operating system that you want. Also, I would love to know that are you using the original CD for installing the Linux or are you using some copy of pirated CD to install. Until and unless you provide us with the precise information I think that I would not be able to help you out.

Hey friend I would want to know that are you installing the Linux operating system on some other partition or are you over writing the previously installed operating system on the laptop. I think that if you are making a partition , then I would tell you that you should first remove the previously installed operating system that you are having, then install the Linux distros. Once you have done installing the Linux operating system then you should go forward with installing the other operating system example windows and while installing windows you should create partition for that operating system.

Hey sorry guys for the less amount of information that I have provided to you. I would like to add up to the add up to the information that I have provided in my first post. For installing the LInux distros I've tried installing the following
    • Kubuntu 10.1 - Which really takes a heck lot of time to install, it takes 4 hours to complete 40% of the installation and sometimes it even gets freeze
    • Kubuntu 10.04 - This gets installed completely but doesnt start.
    • openSUSE 11.3 - Not even getting installed.
    • Fedora 14 - Gets installed and even runs completely but only show black screen with no options at all.

I am trying to install these only on one platform with no partition at all and then also I am facing this error. Even the CD that I am using is an original one, so please help me to overcome this problem.

Hey think that you might having some problem with the hard drive. I would request you to get a Spinrite application and run it at boot, once you do this the application will test for and spot whether there are any damage with the hard drive sectors. This will make sure that whenever you try to install any of the operating it does not attempt to use the damaged sectors, and your installation and running of the operating system will go on smoothly. Also, if you are then also not able to carry out the full installation then I request you to carry out the installation using some other hard disk and then see what happens.