Thread: How to retrieve data from old hard drives of dell laptop

How to retrieve data from old hard drives of dell laptop

I need your help friends. Actually recently I am making use of two hard drives. From which one is IDE/ATA Travelstar of model Dara-212000 which I have taken from my old Dell laptop around 4 years ago. I have a quantity of responsive information I want to get back but do not want to provide it to a professional due to privacy concern. And the 2nd hard drive is inside an external hard drive which I built also 3years ago. So this drives making use of the Centronic 50PIN connector for SCSI. So that is why I believe that the external drive is still functioning but not confident that how am I able to get the data using my laptop.

Re: How to retrieve data from old hard drives of dell laptop

I am also going through the same issue. Actually I want to know that how to plug an oldies hard drive into a new, fairly high-end Dell system, in order to move all of my old data on my new machine? The difficulty is that the connectors appear to have distorted - to kind of flat pins in both cases. Both connectors, on the other hand, seem to have stayed the similar for the two DVD drives. So, in other words, it appears as if I was able to plug my old drive in, for the moment, and put to "slave", if I disconnect together the power and data cables from one of the DVD drives. Would this be safe/effective? Or might there be a number of difficulties along with voltages, etc. Or, really, might there be a difficulty with the fact that the old hard drive would not be plugged in to the similar cable as the new hard drive, but would be sharing a cable along with the remaining DVD drive?? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

I do not think that regarding this you have to worry. Actually to fix this issue I have one solution so if you want then you can go for this. Actually in this I think that it may be easier to install the drive into a USB Cable, as it will be cheaper than purchasing various cables, also you were able to keep away from the DELL Warranty by altering the installed hardware. So try this I think it will surely help you in order to get free from this issue.

I could be incorrect but I am uncertain on this that you will cancel your Dell warranty if you do what you propose. Dell IDEs make use of "cable select" It mean that the device on the end of the cable furthest from the link to the MOBO is "Master" and the additional device is "Slave". You would not have to purchase whatever thing to do this and it is what I would do if all I required to do was obtain the data off the HDD. If you desire to make use of this HDD between different computers, I would obtain an external USB 2.0 HDD enclosure for it. I have got three of them and they are convenient way to move files around.

Really it sounds similar to your newer computer might have SATA hard drives and your old one is an IDE drive. Your old connector is almost certainly flat along with many pins and the newer one is much lesser, has less pins, a dissimilar connector, and the cable is round. Exterior USB hard drive enclosures are fairly contemptible and on many of the website related to this has a good selection and good prices. You will desire to obtain one for the old drive type.

I have read all the post which is given over here and regarding this I will tell you that Yeah, go ahead and order an external drive case, so just buy it, wait a small number of weeks to obtain it, put the drive in it and lastly obtain the files copied. Or, I do not acquainted with, maybe just disconnect the CD roms and temporarily attach the old drive in their place and copy the files. For free. In just a few minutes.