Thread: What is Integrated Flash Storage?

What is Integrated Flash Storage?

Hello friends, yesterday when I was attending my lectures I came across a word called as integrated flash storage. Now, we all know what do we mean my flash memory that helps us to perform the function of read and write electrically. So what does the term integrated flash storage means, is it a kind of hard drive that helps us to perform the same function as flash memory does or is it something else. Please can someone help me to know the exact meaning of this term as I have searched in the internet as still I am unable to find it what does it exactly do. I am having my tutorials on this topic so please be early with the answer.

Re: What is Integrated Flash Storage?

Well, according to my knowledge it is a kind of hard disk that helps us to store a large amount of data at a higher speed as compared to normal hard drive. The read and write operation is performed exactly the same way as it is performed in the pendrive which also use the flash memory operation. The electrically erasing property helps us to erase a block of memory or even one byte at a time. It is a kind of non-volatile memory which means that even if we don't apply electricity, the hard drive will still be able to whole data to it that it does not require constant electric supply for managing the data.

I think that integrated here means that, the memory has some kind of cache memory integrated into it. Since most of the Pendrive's doesn't have this kind of facility in it so I guess that's the reason company have come up with this kind of flash drive that has cache integrated inside it. The cache memory has a typical role to play in the read operation where in if suppose we want to read a block of memory from the hard drive, first of all a scan is made whether that data is in cache and if the processor finds one then the block of data is transmitted directly from the cache and this increases the fetch operation. This same technique is integrated in the usual Flash drive, where the scan is made in the integrated flash and if the block of data is not there the data is obtained from the flash memory and then it is delivered to us. So in all it is really a nice thing to implement and to have.

Hello friend, as soon as I saw your query in this post, even I searched this term in the web and surprisingly I have found various term related to this query. This integrated flash drive can also be called as Compact Flash which has a mass data storage capability and it is used a portable devices just like a Pen drive. This was inherited by SanDisk and is widely popular in the west. There are a huge number of people who are attracting to this kind of electronic device because of the advanced functionality that it offers at a same price as usual Flash Drive. As soon as I saw this even I have brought one of this for me and I can assure you that, it really boost the performance of the read and write operation to and from the Flash Memory.

i

Hey it is true that this kind of technology uses the integrated cache memory and also I have came to know by searching in the internet that this kind of technology has been even starting to use in the Memory card which we have in our mobile phone, digital camera etc. Sony was the first one to use the integrated flash memory for the Memory Card in its Digital device. This kind of device is also very reliable as it offers an automatic backup of data during failure this increases the reliability.