Thread: Does OTA update support in Nokia N900 when upgraded to maemo 5 to 6

Does OTA update support in Nokia N900 when upgraded to maemo 5 to 6

Does anybody think that the Nokia N900 cell phone will support OTA updates as well as being upgraded from maemo 5 to maemo 6 ? Because I have updated my maemo 5 to maemo 6 a day before yesterday and I cannot able to find the OTA updates when I upgraded to it. Some public imply it will, others state it won’t supports the Nokia N900 , some reply it will be up to the telco you obtain it from. So any knows that how to perform this type of function properly. So please reply me on this post.

Re: Does OTA update support in Nokia N900 when upgraded to maemo 5 to 6

That is probably how it would work technically. But I think Nokia hasn't yet said whether they will support N900 with Maemo 6. (IIRC, in some of the interview videos I've seen here the comment was "We don't know yet"). It depends whether these updates will be available in official repos, and whether the hardware will be able to run the next Maemo incarnation. I personally don't know if either is true.

Look at what has misrepresented with Maemo5 that can't be run on N810. While several software’s could be used on N810, HW characteristics of N900 are in use in numerous applications. You would not have a proper camera function with suitable image quality, as much of work is split among both HW and software accomplishment. In order to maintain 640x480 cameras in N900, a full software image processing heap would be wanted but end result would not be high-quality at any rate as front-end camera is basically not the one for photogenic purposes.

There are several examples like that, together with many optimizations for presentation of multimedia which are not appropriate to N900 hardware (Neon-specific) I think that it will support the Nokia N900. If the OTA updates are working fine throughout the maemo 5 then it will work in meamo 6 after up gradation. As very near the beginning conclusion I would speak in case some new functionality is dependent on HW characteristics, it is almost impracticable to dependably permit it supported on preceding products. If such a "past making device" project would be produced, it fundamentally means split in both functionality and UI knowledge, i.e. doubled effort. Now, real query is how to extent proper content that can be support on "past creation device"? This work out as a contribution into effort opinion is almost certainly worth to perform.

Can anyone tell that why OTA update is not working inside Nokia N900 when I updated to maemo 6 but it is working inside the maemo 5. I bought Nokia N900 cellphone 3 months previously. So this indicates that Nokia N900 get numerous update that will go surrounding Maemo 5 to exchange into Maemo 6? It would be awkwardness that such a fine smart phone if OTA updated will not work. So my worry is that this OTA update will support with the Maemo 6 or not inside the Nokia N900. I know that this phone is sustaining well with the maemo 5 very effortlessly. So please give me your thoughts. help will be grateful on this post.