Thread: Dell Latitude E5400 shutting down at random

Dell Latitude E5400 shutting down at random

I have a dell latitude E5400 laptop and it is restarting at random. I do not know what is causing the Restart but is suddenly troubling name i lost some of my work at times and hence please tell me the procedure to get this problem resolved. I have been using a Free AVG Antivirus application i have scanned it number of times but it can't find a single virus.

Re: Dell Latitude E5400 shutting down at random

Sounds like your system is severely infected by a virus so i would suggest you to get an Antivirus installed on your system this will definitely help you to get this shutdown error fixed. But Atleast you should try to install the antivirus application fixed if not fixed yet then you can get it repaired with the help of the recovery partition. hope that this will definitely help you to get this problem fixed.

If your computer constantly restarts while you are using it, or if you are trying to shut down the computer after it has stopped unexpectedly, click to clear the Automatically restart check box. If you clear this check box, you receive an error message when the computer stops responding. This error message may describe the cause of the problem. You can also review the system log in Event Viewer to view the critical stop error that occurs when the computer restarts.

If you have XP, you can go down with the command prompt:

Start -> Run - cmd reinschreiben> -> ok -> the command prompt write purely in
    shutdown-s-m \ \ (the IP of your computer)

Eg IP: 192.168.6.128 The spaces note

Your IP can be found in:

My Network Places -> View Network Connections -> LAN connection -> network support -> IP address.

Try the following:

Start> Run then give you "regedit" and typing to enter. It should now show the approximate driving scheme editor.

Now go to: Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \

There would have the entry "power down after shutdown" are in there. Check the value to "0". Is not so, then click on the file twice and set the value to "0" to a pressure-Enter, this entry is changed and the system would have to go back down normally.