Thread: Slow USB Transfer Rate on customize Desktop and not on laptop (Both windows 7)

Slow USB Transfer Rate on customize Desktop and not on laptop (Both windows 7)

I am having a customize desktop and I am also having a laptop where both of them are running on windows 7 and I have found that I am getting a slow usb transfer rate, I am getting a average transfer rate of 1.5MB/s. for my customize desktop:
    • 7-940 cpu
    • intel dx58so motherboard
    • 8gb of ram
    • nvidia gts250
    • Thermaltake TRX-750M Power supply 750W

Is there anyone who has an idea in order to get a better transfer rate then what I am getting now??

Re: Slow USB Transfer Rate on customize Desktop and not on laptop (Both windows 7)

Before I suggest you something about the same I just want you to post the system specification of the laptop that you are having, and what is the transfer rate that you are getting on it?? Just post the same here for further help.

Re: Slow USB Transfer Rate on customize Desktop and not on laptop (Both windows 7)

I am having Acer Aspire AS5745DG-6681 and its specification is as followed:
    • Intel Core i5-480M
    • 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD
    • Blu-ray Combo Drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M 1GB
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I am getting a transfer rate up to 30MB without any problem, is there any workaround that I can try out to get it work like my laptop??

I will suggest you to enable the Better Performance option in your computer and then see if it is making any difference and also let me know what all solutions you have tried so far so that I don’t suggest you to try out the same again as it will be just a waste of time.

I am aware of the Better Performance option and I have enabled the same on the desktop and even after that I am getting such a poor transfer rate and I forgot to mention that I am getting 30MBS transfer rate on my laptop without enabling the Better Performance option. I have tried to find out the cause for the same but then I have not yet found anything suspicious by now .I have not tried much solutions now but then yesterday I had tried out reinstalling windows 7 on the desktop but then even it did not helped, I don’t know what to do know, I thought that reinstalling the windows will probably solved the issue but then it did not. What you think what might be the cause of this issue??

I think that you should better try to get Resource monitor set up and in order to do the same just follow the below steps:
    • First open the task manager and then click on the performance tab and after that proceed to the Resource Monitor and then just click on the disk tab and adjust the disk I/O mini-window properly as per the view you want.
    • After that just make a copy process that will take some time and then return to the disk I/O mini-window and then check out what response you are getting for the device and just make a note of the count that you are getting and then post the same here for further help.

I tried out the same with a copy process of 150 mb file and these are the result that I have found:
    In the start:
    • Read (B/sec) - 1,150
    • Write (B/sec) - 1,323,000
    • Total (B/sec) - 1,324,200

I/O Priority is normal
    Response Time is 42
    When it reached the end:
    • Read (B/sec) - 0
    • Write (B/sec) - 1,525,900
    • Total (B/sec) - 1,525,900

I/O Priority is normal
    Response Time is 43

Looking at this I think that you are transferring the file from the pc to the usb, I just wanted to know that is it a 2.0 port?? Also just run the process again vice versa and then post the input hard drive along with the output USB, I am saying this because I think that it is the hard drive that is processing slow any ways I am not so sure about this so just post it and let me check out the same.

I am sure that I am having the USB 2.0 Ports because I have crossed check out the specs and i have found the same anyways here are my test result:
    Transferring files to External 40GB drive from the Western Digital Black 1TB drive that I am having:
    Western Digital
    • Read (B/sec) - 1,502,800
    • Write (B/sec) - 0
    • Reponse (ms) - 10

External:
    Read (B/sec) - 0
    Write (B/sec) - 1,489,800
    Response (ms) – 44
    Transferring file to External 40GB drive from Kingston 60GB SSD:
    Kingston 60GB SSD
    • Read (B/sec) - 0
    • Write (B/sec) - 17,274,700
    • Reponse (ms) - 7

External:
    • Read (B/sec) - 0
    • Write (B/sec) - 1,488,600
    • Response (ms) - 49

Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I don’t know how come you are getting so slow performance anyways it is making me think that there is some problem with the USB ports so better try out the same process with the directly built USB port in to the motherboard and see what difference it is making.

I have tried out the same and I think that you were right that there is something wrong with the usb ports because I think that I am getting the desired transfer rate with the USB connected to motherboard, just take a look below:
    Desktop Hard drive:
    • Read (B/sec) - 29,156,830
    • Write (B/sec) - 0
    • Response Time - 15

External Hard Drive:
    • Read (B/sec) - 0
    • Write (B/sec) - 29,019,341
    • Response Time – 2

What can be done to fix the ports now??

I think that you should better try to update the firmware of the usb prots and see if it is making any difference, just try it out and then let me know what you get.