Thread: Nokia N8 Automatic Time Update trying to connect WLAN

Nokia N8 Automatic Time Update trying to connect WLAN

There is a weird problem in my Nokia N8 mobile phone. You might have aware about the Automatic Time Update feature in most of the phones. If set up the time in my N8 to “Automatic update”, the app or timer instantaneously opens a link to my WLAN. First of all I thought that it is normal due to some set up issue but after the proper setup also it hunts for WLAN. I think that this update requires a connection to the network provider. But when it connects to the WLAN nothing update will happen and it just leaves the connection open. After that I manually need to shut it down. Is there anything to suggest about this issue?

Re: Nokia N8 Automatic Time Update trying to connect WLAN

As far as I know the Automatic time update setup usually works through the mobile service provider. When you move to any time zone the phone will automatically update the time by the connection through the service provider or by referring internet. I think that you have enabled the wifi access point for the connection to the service provider. Remove the wifi access point and see will it hunt for WLAN or not. If the problem still continues then turn off the WLAN scanning. It might help you.

As far as I know your N8 is connecting WLAN because you haven’t enabled any data plan like GPRS, EDGE or 3G for the internet access. I heard that this feature connects to the internet and get sync with unique server in order to get the specific time for that region. So activate any GPRS or data plan for this issue. If you have enabled the internet access by the use of WLAN for your wifi router then disable it. Also set the password for authentication with wifi router. If it much irritating you then block the phone access in your WLAN firewall. It may avoid the attempt of connection by Autoupdate Time.

This quality has to be maintained by means of your network operator. Each and every one Nokia phones contain this aptitude; however your telecom operative has to permit you access in support of this. Generally this is facilitated if you have pledged to GPRS or else any kind data plan. I have observed that when GPRS is not subscribed, the phone will not update the time. If this feature is not working in your phone then contact the SIM service provider. Once it is activated it will not connect to the WLAN anymore.

As per knowledge concern the N8 will not update the time for any zone by the use of either the service provider or the WLAN. It is really based on the SIM. It will update the time by referring the SIM and its network zone. Sometime it just refers the system time to update the other zone time. It is entirely based on the SIM and depending on the type of location you are moving. Some network service provider gives you this facility for free but some may charge.

For this issue I urge you to restore the phone to its default settings and see what you will get. If it still connecting to WLAN then I think that it might be the inbuilt feature that is acting like when enabled the wifi connection to your N8 from your wifi router. Because some wifi enabled devices usually uses data connectivity or internet by WLAN connection, not from any other source or 3G.