Thread: Nokia N8 remote drive feature is not working properly

Nokia N8 remote drive feature is not working properly

I bought the Nokia N8 smartphone because I loved the unique feature in that and that is remote drive. It is a good feature resides in the connectivity of the mobile phone. Have anybody tried to use and mange this feature? Does it work in your N8? I tried remote drive with home configured apache2 + mod_dav server as well as with mydisk.se webdav server. At every time it successfully connects to the server, verifies authentications and suddenly disconnects. What should I need to make it working? Is there any separate setup should I need to perform there? I really need it in a working condition. Please help me.

Re: Nokia N8 remote drive feature is not working properly

I have also experiencing the same problem. I think that it is the problem of your N8 firmware version. When I looked into some forums, it said that the new firmware is causing the remote drive connectivity to the webdav server. There was not much problem in old firmware while connecting to the server. But still I haven’t heard about any issue while connecting to the apache2 based servers.

I think that it is not much complicated but should set the webDAV properly in order to access the remote drive. You may necessitate several skills like Apache and OpenSSL knowledge. You are capable to enable WebDAV access if you utilize Apache. The steps are as follows:
    • Download and install Apache. For Linux: install Apache and enable mod_dav. For Windows: find Apache Win32, as well as enable WebDAV by modifying the httpd.conf
    • Generate a self-signed SSL certificate and transfer it towards N8.
    • Trigger SSL in Apache by enabling mod_ssl
    • Organize in httpd.conf, various index to hold up WebDAV: Alias /webdav /some/disk/path
    • Make a user and password by way of htpasswd
    • Now you can exploit this directory like a Remote Drive by using URL is //your-server/webdav

Here is the step by step procedure in your N8 to map the remote drive or network drive:
    • Open Menu>Applications> office
    • Click on the File Manager
    • Then go to Options>Map new drive
    • Give an identity for that drive which you are going to map.
    • Insert URL of your server from the online storage
    • Select your access point like GPRS, 3G or wifi
    • Insert Username and password for that account.
    • Now go back you will notice the drive inside your file manager. Press the drive to connect.

I think that you haven’t shared the network device in your server. Make sure that you have allowed a remote connection for that drive. If it is not available for sharing then how N8 can map it. Also make sure that you have enabled the WebDAV or mod_dav in your server. Download the proper apache file in your system. If the N8 is disconnecting after the authentication means there is a time out. You need to increase this time out period somehow. I don’t have much information to alter or edit it.