Thread: External hard drive is write protected

External hard drive is write protected

I am having a Dell inspiron one laptop which compatible with windows vista and along with that 2GB RAM and 256 GB hard drive. The machine is works fine with almost all of my daily requirements. I basically sue my machine for internet access and sometimes playing games and sometimes for watching movies. The hard disk that I have in my machine is not sufficient to back up any files, that why I purchased a new one TB external hard drive. Which I usually used to attach with the machine and back up necessary files and some media files inside of that external device. Now the problem is after upgrade the external hard drive into windows 7, I am not able to access that, it now allowed me to insert any item inside that device. It appears a message that the drive is not having write permission. I am not a technical knowledge person, so I am here for getting some information regarding this problem. I hope some from here will definitely help me. Any input will be helpful for me.

Re: External hard drive is write protected

I think the external hard drive is might be virus affected. So for that I suggest you to attach the drive in your machine, better if you will do this in safe mode and now open my computer and right click on the drive name now, select the scan option and take the full scan of that drive, don’t click on the quick format option, this not the desire scan operation process. I had the similar issue with my pen drive, and I found that the device is virus affected and by full scan of that the virus is detected and be removed from the device. Along with that be sure you are using the update version of antivirus application.

There is a option in the BIOS setting menu of the drive by which you are attaching the external drive and also the in the external drive if there is any operating system installed. It depends on the windows version which is installed into the drive. So for that first of go to the bios setting option of the external drive and from there look for the permission option, make sure that permission is enable with any machine or drive. Along with that also go to the machine BIOS setting option and from there select the write option to other devices, which should be also enable. If both the settings are proper then I think this time you will be able to write nay back up into the drive.

I think by format the drive the problem can be solved. There should be some problem with the partition. Sometimes I found that this type of problem is occurred by the not properly make the partition into the drive. If the problem is occurring with the particular driver partition then I think you need to format, there should be any problem and for this the write permission to that particular partition is not allowed to you. Attach the drive with the machine and go to my computer, now open the drive, right click on the particular drive and select the format option. Remember that if you are having such problem with the single driver then this process will be applicable, before that if you need then back the files from that driver to any other external device or into your machine. I was facing the similar issue with a particular drive in my machine, and then I format that one, and the problem is solved. Along with that be sure that, there is no visual effects are applied in your machine, this type of problem might be occurred for those effects.

Relevant issue is I am facing with my 16 GB USB flash drive, which is not detected by my machine for the first few days and then, now it not allowed me to add any files inside that device. I am not having any such information regarding this type of problem. The pen drive is detecting properly but only not able to back up some files. Though I tried by format that one and then tried to open this and send some files, this times also same thing happens. Then problem is occurred after make the pen drive as a bootable device for installing windows vista in my machine, where as the CD ROM drive is not working. I searched almost all the web sited regarding this problem but found nothing, and now I am here for getting some knowledge to overcome from this problem.

I think the problem might be for the operating system that you installed in your external hard drive, so according to my opinion I think this can be solved by reload the windows version. For that I suggest you to disable the hard drive which is attached with your machine internally, and enable start your machine with the external hard drive. Now run the windows installation program, this will first ask you to choose the installation drive, select the d3esire drive and then will directs you to format that drive for installation, go for this and with the other instructions load the operating system in your machine. I hope this will definitely help you. Before the operation the operation if there nay important files situated in your drive where you are installing operating system then back up them and follow the process. One of my friend was also having similar issue , but after by re-install the operating system in his external hard drive he can able to overcome from the problem.