Thread: Linux Mint for a new Netbook

Linux Mint for a new Netbook

I have been planning to buy a new netbook this year which must be capable of hold up Windows 7 and Linux Mint. I have found one good model called Acer D255 Dual Core with N550 processor. I am not looking forward for a dual boot. But it should be capable to run with Mint. But I don’t have compatibility information about this model. So has anyone will be able to decided by seeing this netbook’s specification? Here are they
    • Processor: Intel Atom dual core N550 with speed 1.5GHz.
    • RAM: 1GB DDR3 RAM.
    • HDD: 250GB hard drive.
    • Graphics: Intel GMA 3150 graphics card.
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Starter.

Re: Linux Mint for a new Netbook

I think that your computer specification is more than enough because it already came with windows & starter. If this netbook is capable to handle Windows 7 then it probably fully functional with Linux Mint. The reason is because the Mint does not require any high end or middle range specification. It is capable to run on older Pentium processors. The minimum requirement of processor speed is 600MHz and the recommended RAM capacity should be 512MB or greater.

I think that you will not get any problem if you install the Linux Mint on Acer D255 netbook. If can install whatever distribution or version of Linux Mint it will work without any doubt. I have been using Acer which is nearly several months older and I have installed the Mint. I didn’t get any issue moreover there are reasons to tell the Mint is not running on one. But I think that there might a Windows recovery partition on your netbook’s HDD. You can leave it if you want or can remove it, it is your choice. It will not make any sense over.

I think that before go for installing the Linux Mint on your newly bought netbook, I urge you to try by suing a live CD of Mint. If the specification will be well-matchable then the Live CD will run properly. Not only the Mint, try other distribution also and verify that whether this new device can be runnable with Linux distros. Check all the features like webcam, Bluetooth, wifi, USB, sound, LAN, internet etc. it might be possible that some components drivers are still not functioning with Mint such as touchpad and buttons.

There are different versions if Linux Mint is available to download which are free of cost. Which version of Mint you are planning to install. If the processor speed is not enough for your version of Mint then you can easily overclock it little bit. As far as the RAM, HDD and graphics concern they are totally perfect and much for as recommended requirement.