Thread: How to set up AppleTV and Home Server

How to set up AppleTV and Home Server

I am using Windows Home Server in order to store some important files along with duplicate and backup. I furthermore use FireFly Media Server hence that I will be able to stream audio from that server to my mackbook pro and the additional one. This year I am going to buy AppleTV. But I have a doubt that whether my FireFly chains streaming video to the AppleTV or not. What additional restrictions may I scuttle keen on by not having iTunes on my server? I'd understand any imminent keen on using FireFly as a substitute for iTunes lying on my server. Moreover, if I desire to make use of Airplay on iPhone as well as iPad am I well again off immediately creating the server toggle currently moderately than long-lasting to muddle by way of WHS?

Re: How to set up AppleTV and Home Server

First of all I want to tell you that Firefly won't stream to the Apple TV. I was in comparable circumstances to you concerning my Linux media server when I foremost got AppleTV. There actually is no dependable or dependable method to scuttle iTunes on Linux. I decided on to raise up a used Mac Mini, exchanged out the airport for a pci eSATA card and connected it to an eSATA drive. Each and every one media at this instant can be imported into iTunes, flowed to the AppleTV and contacted effortlessly from Macbook Pro by the use of home sharing.

Unluckily the Airport in the direction of eSATA mod will not function on your MAC Mini Server. Preliminary by means of the 2009 replica, the airport card cannot be removable no longer. How does Mac OS X server put side by side to the desktop edition of Snow Leopard? Are there any distinguished disparities or else developments when used like a media server?

If Apple TV will be able to be configured en route for guzzle media streamed by making use of Windows Media Connect 2.0, and then it may be possible to stream to your Apple TV. Nevertheless I disbelief that Apple has incorporated hold up for a Microsoft merchandise; they perceptibly boast a apparition of what the associated home must be similar to, and it's not dreadfully much akin to Microsoft's dream. Perhaps your Apple TV might be configured to cooperate straightforwardly off the server distributes?

I am using AppleTV as a skull in favor of my Windows Home Server a short time currently. I am not utilizing iTunes, on the other hand, I also using Firefly & Bonjour on WHS as well as XBMC lying on my AppleTV. Enormous permutation. I appreciate that the HP WHS moved toward with somewhat meant for iTunes, which ought to effort with AppleTV. Moreover I have listened of people operating iTunes on the side WHS is addressed on and via that to provide the AppleTV even though I have not finished that myself.