Thread: Synaptics touchpad's multi touch capabilities

Synaptics touchpad's multi touch capabilities

I have bought a new Dell Inspiron 13 laptop before couple of weeks and I want to make this laptop's touchpad as Synaptics touchpad. I am ready to use the Linux Mint 9 Isadora Gnome and I know that it is possible under Linux operating system. Is there anybody who has done anything like this before as I am not having any idea for making my laptop's touchpad as Synaptics touchpad. By the way, How capable Synaptics touchpad is?

Re: Synaptics touchpad's multi touch capabilities

None other than the Synaptics touchpad manufacturer of laptops from Apple. This new version is at present available only in the support section of the computer maker HP (for Windows 7, Vista or XP ), but is compatible with any other computer with a touchpad as well mark. All indications are that in the interests of economies of scale, Synaptics has united some of its components, bringing support for multipoint, at least in material terms, some of touchpads products on the same basis as those of Apple computers. Remains whether this upgrade will be formalized by Synaptics unexpected or whether it will remain arbitrarily restricted to certain computers.

Appeared for the first time on the MacBook Pro, multitouch touchpad now tend to spread to all laptops and netbooks sold in recent months. However, many models still lack the technology yet very practical in everyday life. If you have a laptop with a Synaptics touchpad brand, an update may allow you to take advantage of multitouch without needing to change the laptop. It would appear that many Synaptics touchpad designs have the support of multi-point but were hitherto restrained by their driver. A forum user just discovered a simple update provided by HP allowed to benefit from a support for multitouch on all laptops, regardless of brand.

For some time I have a problem with my touchpad. A window appears saying that Synaptics touchpad stopped working. There are functions like scrolling etc which do not work anymore. And to address this recurring problem I am forced to restart my laptop. I appeal to you to help me and offer me solutions to this problem. Thank you in advance for your help and good day.

My configuration:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.40 GHz 3 MB L2 cache
    Memory: 3072 MB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS with 512 MB
    Display: 17-inch widescreen WXGA + High Definition BrightView (1440 x 900)
    Synaptics TouchPad Version 11.0.7-27Mar08