Thread: ipad's iOS 4.2 does not support RAW files

ipad's iOS 4.2 does not support RAW files

I have been using the ipad ever since it came to market. I know that it s the most popular device that everyone should have. As you know the ipad uses ios. After buying this device I didn’t go for any OS update yet. Yesterday I update the iOS to 4.2. After the update some photo applications such as Photogene, PhotoForge, Filterstorm were stopped responding and they no longer function with some imported raw files. When I try to launch those files they either crashes or merely load to small appetizer image. There is no issue in JPEG files. I don’t whether all are having same problem with iOs 4.2 or not. Do you that it is a bug or include the APIs altered. What should I do now for this issue?

Re: ipad's iOS 4.2 does not support RAW files

As far as I know that that Raw files or pictures takes from one camera is as same as the raw files of other camera. There is a vast difference between among those. The difference may be either the size or type. Even if you use the same brand camera also there is difference from one model to another. And as far as I know the ipad only supports some handful number of camera’s Raw files. For more details you can refer apple site for compatible Camera Raw images.

Raw files are doesn’t meant for portable devices like ipad or iphone. So I think that ipad does not support some RAW files of camera. The reason is because there are some limitations in iOS they are incapable to load that huge sized raw files to its photo applications. But when you see from the Mac OS X they will support a number of Camera’s Raw images. I think for editing or loading raw files from camera I think you should use Mac or other computer rather than iOS. I hope that after considering several complaints from users someone might have came up with the brilliant idea to fix this issue.

As you described that some photo applications like Photogene, PhotoForge, Filterstorm, are those particularly made for ipad or iOS? If this case then they might not support the raw files. Because they may not be designed to handle like huge sized raw files. For this issue the users or photo editors use high end apps like Adobe Photoshop or similar. The reason is that these high end apps provides updates plugins for RAW converter which could handle any kind of raw files when there is new camera has been introduced to market place.

I have been using the Photogene in my ipad. It is knowledgeable and well-worth the extremely little price. It offers a quantity of fundamental editing functions or features that will almost certainly permit you generate upright (but not astral) JPGs for upload. The most probable editing it can do is curvature, color modifications, straightforward grinding and hence onwards - but it mainly without doubt is not ADOBE Photoshop or Light Room. If there is update or plugin for those apps in your ipad then download it and see whether they able to convert and load RAW files or not.

As far as I know the ipad will not support RAW-only files. Don’t think that it is a bug that is causing this. I don’t the reason why the developer didn’t add this feature for ipad and its apps. As soon as, passing through the camera, RAW files are brought in from a camera USB or SD card the RAW file furthermore encloses a JPG thumbnail and as a result the iPad is capable to introduce and show only the thumbnail which you are calling as small image. I think you should look for other compatible apps which can able to outlook RAW-only files.

I've had my iPad since last May and never had any trouble at all with processing RAW images (I'm mostly a Canon shooter). All photo related apps were able to handle my RAW images just fine. I, too, just updated to 4.2.1 and am now seriously regretting it. None of my photo apps will now work with RAW, even the piRAWnha app which is specifically for processing RAW files. I'm very frustrated and will probably be downgrading to 4.1

I think before downgrading your iPad iOS you should contact the Apple regarding this issue. As they are the developer so they might be having the knowledge regarding same. Contacting them can take you to the positive solution that will sort your issue. So if you can then contact the Apple and see what response you are getting.