Thread: Cannot play DVDs on netbook with Windows 7

Cannot play DVDs on netbook with Windows 7

I have just bought the brand new Dell Mini 10. It is having preinstalled Windows 7 on that. My problem is that I am not able play DVDs on that. I tried to use an external USB dvd drive which is also a brand new and this worked fine when I used that on a machine having Windows XP installed in it. Media player initially informed me that I did not have the correct codec software. fine, I have downloaded it but it does not play. Therefore I downloaded dvd player which is a freeware (Power DVD Player) and that also would not play any. When I went Media player again then got the similar error message to regulate settings for my Windows display to an inferior screen resolution. I did that but still it gives the same error message. Please help me friends.

Re: Cannot play DVDs on netbook with Windows 7

There are many Windows Codec packs available on internet. To solve this problem, all you have to do is just search and download that. I have installed this on my father’s netbook and all the videos and DVDs are working fine with the Windows Media Player. There may be many other videos that may work in more better way but I have personal experience of this so I can say that this is the best player to use.

Have you tried to run some other DVD's and CD's from your computer? This is just to confirm that you are not having any problem with the discs that you are trying to play. If this is only with any particular disc then there are more chances that the disk is scratched otherwise corrupted and you are getting the issues like that. This is the first thing that should confirm in the cases like this.

There are many of the other players available that can replace the Windows media player totally. It is possible that the problem is with the Windows media player that you are using. My suggestion to you is to use the VLC media player. This is the best player that I have ever used. It supports almost all the formats and will be the best alternative for the Windows media player. So search for that on web and download it. Install that to your system and make the default opening software as VLC and you will not get issues like this after that.

You need to check the DVD Region setting for the drive. It is possible that it is having problem with the DVD Region setting. Earlier, I was also having the similar problem regarding Windows Media Player as well as a USB attached to DVD drive. I observed that the DVD Drive's Region setting was showing "Not Selected". After that I set that to USA (Region 1) and then all the CD’s and DVD’s are running fine.

The Windows media player which is installed in your computer may be corrupted or some of the files for it may be missing and so you are getting the errors like this. One of the reasons for this is the virus attack on your system. So you can scan your system for that and along with that you can also try to install the Windows media player again. If possible then download a new setup and install from that. I ;wish that this will solve the problem, for you.