Thread: Why should I root my Android phone?

Why should I root my Android phone?

I bought a HTC Desire! The phone is awesome. I was first planing to go with iPhone but due to lack of much customization I think it is not going to work properly. So here I have this andriod phone. The device run on SenseUI simple and it has Android 2.1. I had read somewhere that you can root your phone and you can add android on the same. But what are the possibilities of doing this. I do not want to do if there is a risk in doing the same. I want a bit more information on the root stuff.

Re: Why should I root my Android phone?

A root account is a so-called super-user account. It gives the user maximum access rights to the operating system. And therefore the user becomes the administrator of the device. At the time of purchase the manufacturers provide limited rights to people. The core functions of the operating system cannot therefore be changed. With root access, it is possible to install so-called custom ROMs. These are modified versions of Android. And doing this is risky. You have to do a lot of research before doing the same. Or else you can brick your device.

Advantages of a device in the root condition:
    • Full control of the Android operating system
    • Installed Apps can be moved to the SD card, this relieves the internal memory of the Android device
    • System files can be modified - so pre-installed files are changed, such as Themes, Core applications such as calendars, contact management, Clock, ..Boot Loader and much more ... more.
    • Using apps that need root rights Some Useful Apps necessarily require root access to the Android operating system and can only be used if the device has been rooted. Such as tethering task to stop mandatory Apps Manager, can programs to create screenshots. ...
    • Back up your entire system to create on the SD card so the files can backup files are created.
    • The cache for apps like the browser, Maps and Android Market, ... to the SD card can be swapped out, which also protects internal memory.
    • A restart of the entire system via a terminal app is possible with a simple command (see below <enter> reboot <enter>)
    • Full access rights to files in the device

There are also disadvantages. One you are done with that, there will be no OTA updates for the same. And sometime there is a issue with network reception. Rooting comes with various other security vulnerabilities also. So if you are not very much sure on doing the same then you must leave it. But if you are really willing to go ahead doing this then try to find out proper process, a set of good custom roms, etc. And then try it. Always backup your existing rom before doing this.