Thread: No sound in Dell Inspiron Laptop due to unplugged HDMI

No sound in Dell Inspiron Laptop due to unplugged HDMI

I have got a Dell Inspiron laptop system Today I switched on my system and I faced a no sound issue . When I tried to open iTunes I got an error message saying that said my audio video was not configured properly. It was working well for a few days up until today. I have been doing the automatic updates and that is it. I have trying to go through the automatic updates and that too from the dell and the Microsoft support. If checked about through , it too cannot determine the exact issue and asks me to plug in the HDMI correctly, I am really very frustrated and want this issue to be resolved , so please give me your suggestion to get rid off this issue .

Re: No sound in Dell Inspiron Laptop due to unplugged HDMI

Do you want to say when you play audio or a video file without making the use of HDMI monitor being attached , your Dell notebook does not produce any sort of sound connected there is no sound output from notebook speaker? You can right click on audio icon which you will be able to locate in the system tray which is there in the in the bottom of the desktop at the right hand side, then there you will have to set your playback device your device as default and then save the necessary changes , you can do all those changes in the Playback devices. If my solution does not work, please post back the description of your issue, I will try to find out some more other alternative, then I will try to help.

Thanks for giving the response but it still does not give me the exact solution . OK so when I do whatever you directed . The little speaker icon in the system tray has a red x on it, I think it is been disabled . So I right clicked on it in order to playback the devices and then beneath the playback tab the only alternative is ATI HDMI output it still shows that the device is not being plugged in . There is no choice for any speakers. Let me inform you that I am only been making the use of the speakers only for my portable device.

You had mentioned in the above post that you see a red x on the system tray that no doubt means that your device is not enabled and is there fore not permitted to use . There is a red X on little speaker icon, it looks like it is lacking audio driver, the ATI HDMI is just packed with video driver and there fore requires a sound driver , you can simply visit the Dell website and install the Windows 7 compatible drivers for your laptop , in case if you get stuck some where please report back .

I too had faced an issue with my laptop system. In fact the model of my laptop was different from yours , nevertheless you can call in the dell support system, they will definitely help you out to get your issue fixed, it is true that you will have to wait for some time in the queue and get your call connected but they have very much organized and trained technicians along with them that will understand your issue and will diagnose it . You will have to make a correct selection as your laptop system is a portable device and therefore you will have to make selection according to that , but in case if your call gets connected to the desktop department then they will transfer your call to portable department. If your issue is related to your laptop they will take the responsibility to resolve it but if the issue comes out to be a third party device or software , the resolution will be out of bound from there approach, you can give a call to them and then let me know what they say about this.

Well it often happens that you do all sorts of trouble shooting steps, you open your system and tear it down , you talk to the support system and seek help from them and you call an in site technician as well, but still you do not get the resolution , it is because some people have the habit to follow the difficult procedure first. So it is always recommended that you do the basic troubleshooting steps first , so I will ask you to check the volume control button first and see whether the volume control is not being muted.