Thread: Dell Laptop is Freezing while updating BIOS

Dell Laptop is Freezing while updating BIOS

Please help me guys. It will be very kind of you to do so. Recently, while working in my Dell laptop, I received a notification about an urgent Bios update for my Windows XP running system. And as everyone suggested to install the latest updates and keeping the system updated, I downloaded, extracted and executed the file. But then I got this WinPatrol pop up which informed me of the changes. But then the screen froze up. The cursor got stuck, can’t perform ctrl-alt-delete and neither I am able to shut down the system. So I wanted to know what exactly is causing this issue with in my laptop and how I can get rid of the following issue.

Re: Dell Laptop is Freezing while updating BIOS

It might be possible that you must have downloaded some random file which might be consisting of malicious files in it. So you should make sure that you have downloaded the files from the correct and secured website of the manufacturer of Motherboard in your Dell laptop. On that official website you will be able to find the correct working BIOS setup as well as the Update file which you wanted to install in your system. Also make sure that your Internet Connection is working well and good while you are updating or downloading the files.

This is a very common and simple step which I am suggesting you to do. Your system might have faced this unexpected issue because of some bug or glitch. So I would recommend you to shutdown your system and remove the battery of your laptop. Reinsert the battery and restart your system. After restarting the system, again try to install the update in your system. If again you are facing the same issue while updating the BIOS then there is a major issue with the Motherboard of your laptop.

It is always advised to update the BIOS through the Motherboards manufacturer website, but as it is DELL’s laptop, you can also find the necessary update for your Dell laptop on the official website of Dell. Also as you mentioned that a notification appeared for the Bios update, it is strongly possible that you might have not been connected to Internet at that moment. The reason for your issue can be anything from installing wrong update, virus attack to faulty hardware.

According to me there is some kind of issue with your hardware or with some incompatible software. Also it can happen that the update is freezing because of the interrupting pop-up from the WinPatrol. The best solution for the problem at this moment is to contact the nearest Dell Support Center and fix an appointment with the technical staff of Dell to solve the problem with your Dell’s laptop. IF the laptop is under warranty period, you will get your problem fixed for free or else you will be changed.

Thank you all for showing interest on my issue and making efforts to get it solved. It was very kind of you guys to spend your quality time to write down the suggestions. I visited the official website of the manufacturer of my Motherboard, i.e. Intel and downloaded the necessary update for my Bios from there. Install the updates and restarted my system. After restarting, everything seems to have got solved and settled down and my system is again running smooth.