Thread: Troubleshooting integrated microphone problem in Dell Latitude D600 laptop

Troubleshooting integrated microphone problem in Dell Latitude D600 laptop

I was having Microsoft windows XP operating system installed on my Dell Latitude D600 laptop. Due to virus attack on my system my opoerat5ing system files got corrupted so I installed windows 7 operating system. After installing windows 7 operating system I am having problem with my system microphone such that it is not working. I tried to restart the system thinking that the microphone problem could be resolved. I need a solution so that I can troubleshoot this problem and my microphone could start working.

Re: Troubleshooting integrated microphone problem in Dell Latitude D600 laptop

If you are having problem with your microphone in Dell Latitude D600 laptop then you can troubleshoot this problem easily. You need to troubleshoot the multimedia properties such that they are correctly set. You need to go to the Start/ Settings/Control panel and double click on the multimedia icon. In the multimedia icon you need to click on the audio tab. You need to make sure that the microphone is the preferred device.

If the microphone is not working then there might be issue with your audio driver. You need to update the audio driver problem and the microphone issue will get resolved. The steps to update audio driver are given below:
    1. You need to start the system and login into the system as administrator.
    2. After login into the system you need to enter into the device manger.
    3. In the device manager you need to click on the “+” sign next to Sound, video and game controllers.
    4. Right click on the sound device and select update driver.
    5. Now the system will automatically search for the driver and update it.
    6. After the sound driver is updated you can test the microphone to check if the microphone problem has been resolved.

If the internal microphone problem is not resolved by updating the driver, installing the sound card driver etc then in that case there might be hardware problem with your system. The hardware problem will be resolved by contacting the manufacturer. After contacting the manufacturer, the manufacturer will resolve the hardware error which was preventing microphone from working and the microphone issue will be resolved.

You can resolve the internal microphone error by following the steps given below:
    1. You need to make sure that the internal BIOS are enabled by going into the BIOS. You can enter into the BIOS by pressing the DEL key from the keyboard at the time when the system starts to boot.
    2. If the internal microphone is enabled then you need to go the control panel and select recording tab.
    3. Right click on the external microphone if connected to the system because of which internal microphone is not seen.
    4. Select the external microphone and set it to disabled. Now the internal microphone will appear in the list.
    5. Select internal microphone and set it to default device. Now the problem will of internal microphone not working will be solved.

The microphone might not be working because the sound card driver has been corrupted. Suppose you have installed a new operating system or you have done the system restore then in that the sound card driver might have been erased. If the sound card driver has been erased or corrupted then you need to install the sound card driver again. You need to insert the sound card driver CD into the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive and follow the installation wizard to install it. After the installation of sound card driver microphone problem will be resolved.