Thread: Can't use GPS without Data Connection in iPhone 4

Can't use GPS without Data Connection in iPhone 4

I wonder if I am having an iPhone 3G and I do not have a plan or 3G Internet, GPS can be used without connection? But I tried to us the GPS a number of times but am not able to use it please tell me is it possible to use GPS without subscribing for a data plan. Please guide me in this matter. Any help will be massively appreciated.

Re: Can't use GPS without Data Connection in iPhone 4

Basically there is an application that lets you use GPS without using connection. Yes, the GPS of the iPhone 3G can operate without connection, I personally do the test by running it without the sim card, but it must have app like Navigon (very good GPS with 3D) Navionics (charts), we may even now be in the shade TomTom. The GPS of the iPhone does not need to connect to the network with google map or plan as the cards are not pre-loaded into the iphone and this requires a data transfer.

It's just there need an internet connection to operate your GPS on iPhone, even if you have tomtom or navigon or others. The proof is in the airplane mode and you try to locate your tomtom, you never get it. Throw your tomtom after resetting the stats of connection (data received and data sent) and you will see that there was an exchange of data. So if you use your tomtom abroad you will have to pay an exchange of information outside of your package.

Like many here, I did the test by removing the sim card from my iphone 3g. I launched Navigon Europe and, after 2 or 3 minutes, my position has emerged and I could be guided without worry. I went on the Apple site, in the operation of GPS on the Iphone. If I understand correctly, the chip A-GPS does use the 3G network and / or WiFi, but to accelerate and refine the position through triangulation of 3G antennas and wireless terminals, but that's all. The chip does not need 3G or WiFi. I guess it plays in the speed of recalculation of the position during a trip.