Thread: Dell Dimension 8300:Is this machine is compatible with windows 7

Dell Dimension 8300:Is this machine is compatible with windows 7

I am having an old Dell Dimension 8300. I have purchased this laptop in march 2005. I don’t remember the actual date with the following specifications:
    Processor: 86 Intel Pentium 4.
    Hard disk: 160Gb
    Ram : 512MB (2X256) 400 MH upgraded to 1.5Gb Ram
    Graphic card: 128MB DDR nVidia geforce FX 5200
    DIMENSION 8300 P4 WITH HT TECHNOLOGY 3.0. I have several doubt in my mind:
    1. I am planning to install windows 7 home premium, is this machine is compatible with Windows 7?
    2. After installing windows 7 will the machine performance will increase?
    3. All my existing Microsoft application will be compatible with windows 7( Software such as MS Office 2003, Autoroute7)?
    Your suggestion regarding to this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance please reply as soon as possible.

Re: Dell Dimension 8300:Is this machine is compatible with windows 7

As per your first doubt whether this machine is compatible with Windows 7 home premium?Yes, it is, I encompass a computer as well as it is running with no trouble. As a result Dell Dimension runs Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, no troubles at all. You most likely will require an extra dominant video card for Windows Media Center (WMC), I observe that it is quite slow at what time using that.

1.After installing windows 7 will the machine performance will increase?
    Answer : Surely, start time as well as shutdown, loading of the desktop furthermore operating in the Windows 7 interface is extremely well. Applications as well as windows open extremely quick.
    2. All my existing Microsoft application will be compatible with windows 7( Software such as MS Office 2003, Autoroute7}?
    Answer: I am not certain regarding AutoRoute, however I encompass Office 2003 on a different computer making use of Windows 7 furthermore runs presently very well, just ensure that you install the most recent service pack as well as updates. I will recommend you to run windows 7 home premium 64 bit instead of professional, in view of the fact that Windows Virtual computer by means of windows XP mode will not function for the reason that the processor does not support hardware base virtualization.

Thanks for all your suggestion I have one extra query, I expect you be able to assist.At the same time as you be familiar with I encompass Windows 7 home premium 64 bit installed on my Dell Dimension 8300 as well as to a certain extent upgrade it as was intended Windows 7 in addition to a new sata drive have altered it to such an degree I at the moment altering components as well as keeping it! I want to know that how do I found how much RAM my motherboard will hold up? I am planning to upgrade it to 6 GB if achievable at the same time as I perform a lot of Photography as well as have freshly buy Photoshop Elements 8.