Thread: MacBook Air:USB External Drive not detecting

MacBook Air:USB External Drive not detecting

Recently bought an Apple Mac Book pro ultra portable laptop with windows 7 platform. It impressed me very much with all its features and the looks. I basically use this machine for some of the official and more personal works, like access internet along with that some times watching movies and love to play games. Though i basically play low definition games. Few days back, one of my friend come to my home along with a external hard drive, it is a USB connector. Now the problem is, while i tried to connect that external drive into my machine, it does not detect. It is quite shocking to me, though i just bought the machine and encounter a problem. I can understand what and where the actual problem. I am just worried about this, suggest me some thing to solve the issue if there is any problem in my machine...

Re: MacBook Air:USB External Drive not detecting

As per opinion, if i consider that there is a problem in your machine, you can check this by enter in to the device manager, look for the USB device driver which is installed in your machine. While you installed the operating system in your machine, along with the windows file, the device driver is also installed. There might be some of the driver is listed in that window with yellow or red or question mark icon. So be sure that your driver is not listed over there. The device driver is might be with the name “USB mass driver”, i looked in my windows vista machine, where i found this name for my USB port driver. Now if the desire driver is listed over there this problem might be overcome by updater that driver, right click on the device name and select the update option.

Don’t think so , the problem may also in that USB device which you tried to run in your machine. Technically might be the drive is not capable to run with the machine specification that you have. As per my knowledge generally Apple uses eSATA hard drive in its machine. Though not having any idea, what the other drives your machine support. So for that i suggest you to try to connect another hard drive in your machine, just for the confirmation whether your machine in not having any problem. If this detect then its ok, otherwise if this does not detect then check whether you are installed the driver or not? If there is not driver installed in your machine, then download and install the driver. Reboot the machine and then try to attach any external drive in your machine.

Similar issue in my apple Macbook pro laptop. i had a external drive along with the machine. Which i basically use to store movies, games, video clips etc. I am using the external drive from almost six moths, does not give me any problem with that. But recently i encounter a problem with that, on yesterday while i tried to connect the drive with my machine, it flashes a message that the drive is not recognized by my laptop. i thought this is a normal problem, and i reboot the machine along with tried to connect the drive again, this time again the same message flashes in my machine. I have no idea on these types of issues, i tried everything as per my knowledge, but nothing helps me. What should i do? Any input on this will be appreciated.

I think there is a problem with the disk management configuration so, for that the problem that you mentioned in your post might be occurred. Stopped all the programs that are running in you r machine, reboot the machine. Now got o the disk management window by right click on My computer. After appearing the properties window not select "MANAGE" option. Now when computer management pop-up window will open, click on "DISK MANAGEMENT" tab, this will situate in the left panel of that window. Generally the WIZARD set in NTFS format, if this happens same in your machine also then change it to FAT 32 format. You can also do this process by right click on the External Drive, and from the properties window of that drive, you can change the mode. At last click on Active or Save. Now try to connect the drive in your machine. I hope this it will detect the drive.