Thread: Even closing the cover MacBook Pro loses battery charge

Even closing the cover MacBook Pro loses battery charge

MY new MacBook Pro came with a solid state (flash memory) disk. I got the good battery life while using it in some condition. The problem is when depart it with the wrap off for a few days the battery will be automatically discharged when I open it up. I think that it is not the normal issue. Am loosing much power form it when it is still closed. How could be possible? Is it the normal behavior of the laptop?

Re: Even closing the cover MacBook Pro loses battery charge

I think that when you lock the lid on an Apple Mac laptop it initial goes into “suspend to RAM” state. The Apple calls it as a "Sleep mode" in computer. At this time the Mac will efficiently turned off but the RAM which is still in the active position. The RAM needs some power to keep the circuitry alive for system backup. At this time it will took the power from battery. Once the battery comes to vital levels it will go into "Safe sleep" (Apple calls) IIRC and we call it Hibernate. At this time system will abandon the stuffs of RAM to disk, and turn the system off totally.

When you close the cover of the laptop the mac will not automatically completely shuts of the computer. It will keep the RAM alive assuming that the user will come back soon. After the certain time interval only it will shuts of the mac completely. The system takes much time for transmitting the RAM contents to HDD when the system in sleep mode. Then it will do the necessary settings before the closing the all process.

Sleep mode is the default mode on Mac. It uses little quantity of power to preserve the RAM in use. The SSD may also put in to that battery exploit, even in sleep mode. To change hibernate setting follow some simple steps.
    Open the command line terminal on your Mac and type the following commands.
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3 (affects battery and ups and ac modes)
    sudo pmset -b hibernatemode 3 (affects only battery mode)
    The setup will ask for your password. Enter the administrator password. There is no need of restarting the computer.