Thread: Help on reassembling HP NC6400 laptop

Help on reassembling HP NC6400 laptop

Few days ago my father brought me a HP nc6400 laptop. Everything was fine in laptop except the Fan. The fan was making much noise. So I have decided to change it. So I have opened the case of laptop myself and somehow replaced and attached the new fan. Now I am getting trouble with the ribbon cable from the keyboard which I should connect it back to the motherboard. I don’t have any idea about how to connect it. When I tried to connect it fits very loose and it will pull out easily if I shake the motherboard. Can anyone tell me how to connect it? Am I missing something behind? I need to reassemble it as It was before. I don’t want to do any mess inside this. So I will be looking for some help.

Re: Help on reassembling HP NC6400 laptop

I don’t think that you need to add extra effort on connecting the ribbon cable. As you told that you have successfully connected the Fan to its position. If you can do this then I think the further assemble process will not cause you much trouble. It seems to me that you have already had much knowledge about the laptop’s hardware compartment. Most of the flat cables mean the ribbon cables contain a little Retainer Clip which are like a lift up option or slide back. You may use any tool to pop up the retainer. Use some stick to push it open and connect it easily.

The connection of the laptop board to other peripherals is quite complex task to acquire. But it is not the hard one. You should have the knowledge about how the connector will work and their respective clips and cables. Some ribbon cable or flat cable contain two tabs on the side of the connector that you should slide in. some contain a small plastic bar on the peak that you need to twist down. Either way you can connect the keyboard cable to the respective connector of the motherboard. Don’t add much pressure while connecting; it might harm connector or the other small devices inside the motherboard.

I think there are two locks for 2 cables on the motherboard. Make sure that the both locks are properly going to connect to the ribbon cable otherwise the keyboard will not work at all. I think that one connector is for the power supply and the other for signal from the keyboard. If any 1 connector among both has been damaged then you will not be able to use the keyboard. The cable will also not going to fit properly. Each connector has a locking tab which should be moved upwards to release cable. If the tabs were broken then you will not be able to connect the flat cable properly.

If the keyboard ribbon cables are going to fit loose then you need to contact the service provided for help. Don’t go for any further connection until you solve this one. The ribbon cable connectors in laptop are very delicate. You need to refer the manual for the reassembling if the HP nc6400 laptop. If the motherboard connector has been damaged then you don’t get any replacement for only just connector. At that the only option left for you is replacing the entire motherboard which cannot be affordable. So don’t do any connection which you don’t have appropriate knowledge.

You have to know two things while removing and reassembling the keyboard. There are 2 connector from keyboard to motherboard. The one is bezel and the other is ribbon cable. In the connector side make sure that the tabs has not been broken. While connecting the ribbon cable you need to move up those tabs up to 2 mm then insert the cable and push it back to normal position.