Thread: How to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 531

How to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 531

Hey friend I am working on my Dell Inspiron 531 for long time but now I am not satisfied with it and now I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 531 so I can play games better on this. I am looking to upgrade my computer's CPU as well as graphics capabilities, so I will be able to play my new copy of F1 2010 the way it was to be played! Also what is the best graphics card the stock mobo/cpu/cpu cooler be able to handle? I do not want to spend more than $100.and Can I upgrade my Dell Inspiron 531's graphic card to 8800 Ultra?please help me out.

Re: How to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 531

Hey even I got a Dell Inspiron 531s I Know its Power Supply is Small as well as the case is Slim as Heck, however it is a powerful Dual 4400+ system. If you find the card that I got, I have JATON Video-PX8400GS_EX GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Low Profile video card. This is probably the FASTEST Video Card you will be able to get for this Computer with its Power Supply. This Card really recommends you have a 450w PSU, but I just have the 250w PSU as well as my system gets a little hot but it does not burn out.

Does an ultra really require a 750 watt PSU? Last I saw that it required a 450 watt PSU. Are you trying to do SLI since I highly doubt any Dell Inspiron has two PCI-Express 16x slots? I have one plus I am using a 550 watt PSU, but back to your question Dell makes their computers very hard if not impossible to upgrade with other name brands other than their dell made parts (bastards).I am little confident though if you upgrade your PSU, have a PCI-Express 16x slot, do not have anything plugged into the PCI slot (these cards are huge, most of the time people complain over how they have to give up one of their PCI slots to use this thing) next to it I am confident you will be okay.

Hey I will advise you Sapphire HD 4830 512MB and MSI N9600GT-T2D512-OC 512MB card if you want to play game in the way it was meant to be played. The Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB is a good quality card for those who would like to play games without breaking their bank account. It provides very good outcome on medium resolutions. The Geforce 9600 GT 512MB is a small card intended to be at average price for casual gamers. By cons, it is not possible to play the latest 3D intensive games with this card. But you can buy this if your budget is low.

The mobo sounds like it is an AM2 or AM2+ board. If it is, then the single thing that prevents you from slapping any Phenom II chip in there would be the BIOS. Ok Go to the board producer site as well as after that find out if it supports newer processors. Unfortunately main manufacturers like Dell are notoriously terrible about that, however.

Hey I know that you are searching for good graphic card but it is easy to find a card for the system but it has to work with the PSU which you contain in your system. The system likes to maintain from some low to mid range graphic card as well as you will require to obtain a suitable powers supply for the same. With a weak PSU you be able to fry your system out. It is also not simple to swap the PSU, for that you will require first unplugging all connections as well as opening the 4 screws from backside.