Thread: How to reset password in PowerBook G4

How to reset password in PowerBook G4

I have been looking for apple PowerBook G4 from the past several months. Because of some issues I couldn’t able to buy it. Yesterday I got a chance and bought it from local yard sale. I also own a wireless printer in my office. When I tried to install the software of this printer it prompts me for a password to continue the installation. I have the user name but I have forgotten the password. How can retrieve password from G4? Is this cannot be possible then is there any alternative option like resetting password likewise. I don’t want my pick will go for waste. So please help me with this.

Re: How to reset password in PowerBook G4

I think it is possible to restore your password. Did you get ant restore media with your PC? If you have any OS restore CD then it will be simple matter for you. Just Boot from that disc and before launching installation, you can use a utility or app to restore or reset administration password from your system. If you don’t have any restore disc then you need to find the retail version of OS disc.

I think that it is possible to reset the administrator password in OS X without any restore CD or installation CD. The solution is enter into the terminal and make a new admin account: Follow these steps:
    • Reboot the system
    • Hold apple + s down after the sound
    • When you see the text prompt window use these commands one by one hitting return key to create new admin account

mount -uw /
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    shutdown -h now
    • Reboot the system once again and login as the new admin. Now you can simply delete the old one and install the printer software without any issue.

I think that the use of restore disc and it reset password doesn’t work sometime and you don’t have any choice to reinstall the OS x. at this time you can do one of several things.
    • Boot up the G4 in single user mode, then change the password
    • Boot up the system in single user mode and enable the root account
    • Boot up in single user mode and create a new account without password

Before continuing you need to check for any third party password protection applications. If they present n your G4 you need to get rid of them first then try to install the printer driver and software. Is it only the issue related to the wireless printer? did you check your powerbook by installing wired printers?

I think that forgotten your G4 admin account password. I Assume that you haven't locked out OpenFirmware, it's a appealing effortless task to modify your password by following this step
    • Boot up in single user mode and Hold Apple+S and type these commands

#sh /etc/rc
    #passwd yourusername
    #reboot

• If you can't recall your user name, then either search in the /Users folder or run "niutil -list . /users".
    • If the /etc/rc script isn't available, actually, try increasing and opening the base services manually:

#/sbin/fsck -y
    #/sbin/mount -uw /
    #/sbin/SystemStarter