Thread: What to do with my old laptop

What to do with my old laptop

After I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, the old is just pointless in the corner. I had an Acer Aspire laptop which i purchased three year s back. After I backed up the data as I do not think anyone ran there again can? Simply delete system files, or delete what I do? And then just on the hazardous waste? How would you proceed Should I dispose of it? Where? How expensive is it? What did you do with your old PC's, laptops, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Re: What to do with my old laptop

You can try to Donate the laptop. There are international initiatives that promote the donation of equipment to get them discontinued low-income individuals, In DIF's office in your area and get more information. Or if you prefer, you yourself can give the satisfaction of delivering and installing the equipment by going to a locality or low-income neighborhood near where you live. This is the best way to utilize an old laptop.

I gave my old 486 laptop to my wife. It is only the operating system (Win 98 SE) and Organizer (Lotus Organizer) installed. My wife can use it in her shop for good appointments (for each employee a separate file organizer), better than the paper organizer. If you prefer to give it away, then I would ask first of all in foster homes or other charitable institutions. If you want to sell it - starting at Ebay! I gave my old PC is always the family or friends.

It would be better to get it sold, as you're going to throw you laptop away, or you will save, no need to throw something that still works, if you do not want to throw it away or sell it, gift it to some charitable institutions or to someone whom you think is really in need , I'll gladly accept it hehe. seriously, if you do not want to throw it away or sell it, give it to someone who values the pcs.

I also have an old Compaq N620C laptop, 512 RAM and 1.4 GHz. I installed Ubuntu for 2 years. Recently, I reinstalled Ubuntu 9.10 instead of 9.04. As I have a partition for / home, I formatted the partition as ext4, and installed Ubuntu 9.10 from the LiveCD. Keeping same username and same password on reboot, it regains its previous environment for each application (mail, browser, desktop, ....). It should reinstall it (with Synaptic) software that is not part of the distribution (base).
    Note: Do not throw it, enough for linux.

I think you have the option of offering this machine to a hardware professional , subject to the conditions as a technician I would buy a spare and still worth your money as you could donate to an institution to which you need it and that the state is made by repair. The parts which are still working can be sold to a technician which he will be using to repair another laptop. If possible please provide the specifications so that i can give you a rough estimate.

Hey, The machine which you have mentioned above is not a bad machine at all, and I tell you that I'm writing from a pentium III to 1.2 GB with 256 MB RAM, 30 GB HD with single CD reader, not burner. This well is an HP and it works ten points, but I would like your machine! I like you would sell at a good price and warning about those who buy it and problems, all solvable. You'll see as you take it off your hands.

In these times when, as never before, technology is advancing at a speed so fast starts to invade a doubt I do to my CPU's, monitors, keyboards, mice, printers, and yards and yards of cables discontinued. The most likely cast aside all this technology in a dark room and forget its existence for some years to come throwing them in the end. A laptop over a desktop PC has certain advantages, mainly its small size, because it has a small fan is not noisy, badly damaged that the stack must be at least 5 minutes back, long enough off the computer correctly.