Thread: Fan problem in Lenovo IdeaPad Y550

Fan problem in Lenovo IdeaPad Y550

I am having Lenovo IdeaPad Y550 with Microsoft windows 7 operating system installed on it. Few days ago my IdeaPad Y550 started to make excessive noise. Even my laptop has never been dropped or mistreated. For solving the noise problem of the fan I tried to restart the system but the same problem exist. I want a solution to troubleshoot this problem.

Re: Fan problem in Lenovo IdeaPad Y550

Is there is a problem of fan in the laptop then it can be solved easily. To solve fan problem you need to get through an appropriate modulation of the embedded controller using ACPI fan control script. ACPI fan control script is a script written that can be used to monitor and control the fan so that it can function properly. Also you can solve the noise problem by upgrading the BIOS.

You need to restart the laptop if you are facing any problem which is related to fan. Restarting the system may sometime solve the fan problem. If your laptop is in use for a long time then due to overheating of laptop may result into excessive noise from the fan. You need to power off the laptop for some time so that it is being cooled and then restart the laptop again.

You can troubleshoot the problem of laptop by using the following tips given below
    • You should always clean the case before using it. To remove the dust from the fan you can either use canned air, pipe cleaners or you can even use fine-tipped tweezers
    • Connection of fan may be loose. To solve the connection problem you may need to push the connector back into the socket until it is tightly seated. If there is something thing hanging or stuck to your fan then remove it that the fan spins freely.
    • Due to electrical short the fan must be making noise. In the case of electrical short you need to replace the fan but if the wires of the fan are melted then you need to put up the new fan.

The function of the fan in the PC is to agitate air. Thus it is meant to keep the system from overheating. From the above solution I have easily troubleshooted the noise problem in fan. But now I want to know that is there any mechanism to control the speed of the fan. Also give me solution through which I can control the speed.

Steps to control to speed of the fan are given below:
    1. You can control the speed of the fan by doing setting in the BIOS. Check the BIOS on your laptop to see if there is any fan speed. The BIOS will give a window showing the hardware and software in your laptop. You can enter into the BIOS by pressing the F10 key when the system starts to boot. After entering into the BIOS you can change the settings from the toggle dropdown menu and then click on done when you are finished to save it.
    2. You need to check if there is a chipset driver for a fan on the laptop. If the chipset driver is present then you can easily control the speed of the fan. The chipset is control system for fan, video and sound controllers and network adapters. You can find these chipset on the motherboard of the system.