Thread: Lenovo T61:Bluetooth device not found

Lenovo T61:Bluetooth device not found

Hello friends I have got this lenovo T61 and it was working fine when I had Windows xp on it, but since i have upgraded my laptop operating system to include Widows 7 operating system, I found out that my laptop was unable to detect the bluetooth device. The device manager is unable to locate any of the bluetooth device, so can any one help me to know what exactly is the problem, why no bluetooth device is coming up in the search and what can be done to solve this problem.

re: Lenovo T61:Bluetooth device not found

hey after you have upgraded the operating system in your laptop have you inserted all the drivers that are required to run all the devices that you want. Since you have formatted the laptop and inserted the new operating system, I guess that the drivers might not have been installed in the laptop which is required to detect the devices. So I would suggest you to first find the driver that is compatible with the Windows 7 and your laptop and then insert it in the laptop and then again look for some of the external device in the search option.

Hey are you sure that your laptop bluetooth device is up and working properly. Before you are searching for any of the external devices you should first see to it that your laptop bluetooth is on an then try to search for any external devices. Then you are sure about this and then also you are not able to get the device in the search option then i would suggest you to check for the drivers for detecting the bluetooth device. Usually everything on a computer or a laptop requires driver to run any of its functionality so until that is proper you wont be able to detect any thing from your laptop. So first clear out this doubt and then only come to any kind of conclusion.

Hey guys I have everything that is required to detect the external devices using the bluetooth. After the upgrade the first thing that I have done is installing each and every driver that are necessary for the laptop. Also, I have checked out mu bluetooth device and found that it is up, since it was working when I had Windows xp on it , but since I have upgraded to Windows 7 , the only thing is that whenever I search for any device the device doesn't comes up in the list of search in fact no device comes up in the list. So what to do now can any one help me to sort out this problem as I am very eager to connect to external devices.

Hey you can use and install the hotkey driver that is especially designed for the bluetooth enable device. Using this you will surely be able to connect to the other device without any kind of problem as such. Once you have installed this software it will enable the bluetooth on your laptop, once you are certain that the bluetooth device on your laptop is enabled then you must press F5 to turn the bluetooth on and after search for the devices like you normally do. I hope so it will solve your problem.

Hey have you updated the driver that you currently have in your laptop, I think that the drivers might be out of date and that is why you are not able to detect any external devices. So the first thing you should do is to update the driver so as to make the bluetooth to work properly. Also log into your BIOS as an Admin, go to -> Security -> I/O Settings -> Bluetooth adapter -> Enable it if it's disabled, if you don't see Bluetooth adapter in there then probably your machine didn't come with it. So you can try these certain things to solve the problem which you are facing.

Re: Lenovo T61:Bluetooth device not found

I have a T61 and I'm on XP but using bluetooth for the first time to connect to a printer. I had a devil of a time getting it to work. But here's what I discovered and it sounds similar to your problem.

My bluetooth was enabled (light was on) and my printer was enabled and waiting to be discovered. I followed my printer's instructions, went to Control Panel and found 2 bluetooth icons. I used the first one (Bluetooth Configuration) -- that one lets you configure what other devices can do if they connect to your Thinkpad via Bluetooth. Since I just wanted to connect to a printer, I set the other local services to Manual. Then, I selected the other Bluetooth icon (Bluetooth Devices) as instructed by my printer guide. I pressed the Add button which invoked the Add Bluetooth Device Wizard. As instructed, I checked the box 'My device is setup and ready to be found', clicked Next, watched the little flashlight do its search thing -- and nothing! No devices found. Is that your problem, too?

Well, I found yet another Bluetooth program installed on my machine. I discovered it under Start -> All programs --> another little Bluetooth icon pointing to a program called 'My Bluetooth Places'. When I executed that software, magical things happened -- my printer showed up in its list and connected beautifully. 'My Bluetooth Places' came pre-installed on my machine but I think that it's Lenovo software and not Windows software. So maybe when you upgraded to Windows 7, you wiped out 'My Bluetooth Places'??

I now have 2 Bluetooth icons in my system tray. One is labeled 'Bluetooth Devices' and that's the one that still doesn't see any devices. The other is labeld 'Bluetooth on xxxx', where xxxx is what I named my Thinkpad when I was in the Bluetooth Configuration. So, I think the Lenovo 'My Bluetooth Places' is overriding the Windows 'Bluetooth Devices' software. (Just like they use Access Connections to override Windows Network Connections for wireless connectivity.)

With a little research, I found that 'My Bluetooth Places' is running a piece of software called 'ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate'. If you don't see it in your Control Panel Add/Remove programs, then I'm pretty sure you can download it free from the Lenovo website.

Sorry for rambling. But I'm hoping that my frustrating experience can save somebody else!