Thread: Lenovo x201 random shutdown

Lenovo x201 random shutdown

For several days the notebook is turned off suddenly, without warning and in a totally random. No matter whether it is connect ed to internet or not, whether i am working, or it is in the stand-by gets turned off automatically. For example, today went off once while the laptop was on stand-by, then worked for 4 hours, then went off twice in an hour, then worked again for another 4 hours and then went off while I was downloading from the network. I have not found any on-line diagnosis for this What do you suggest?

re: Lenovo x201 random shutdown

What a coincidence, I happened the same thing last night with the laptop. Mine was definitely an overheating problem. Check out a few things:
    • If you have a laptop, make sure there vents inlet and outlet are not blocked (I held the laptop on a pillow so as not taking in air)
    • If you drive, it may be that the fan is dirty. You open the case and clean with a compressed air canister, the fans from dust.

It 's weird though, because my PC has fixed the alarm if the temperature rises too much, but I think it depends from PC to PC.

I have the same problem on a Lenovo 3000 N100. Now I'm trying another power supply to see whether it holds or not, and especially if it can recharge the battery. Then the problem will be resolved Otherwise it happens like battery might have gone bad and hence it gets turned of randomly so can you please help me out in this matter. please help me in this matter.

I would recommended you to check the motherboard for the presence of swollen capacitors (or worse, broke). Are those dark cylinders topped by two tiny silver crossed grooves forming a cross, if that surface is flat there is no problem, if it were convex or "broken" I fear it is necessary to replace the motherboard (unless you do not know someone with a welder, capacitor parts and some patience to try to replace damaged ones, but I see hard). all the best..

I'm thinking that it has accumulated dust on fan blades, and the heat sink that are going to lock the CPU, is resulting in a restart. Try to download any program to check the temperature of the processor if you see it too high, depends on the CPU, but in any event if it exceeds 70 ° (it is high!) with the processor idling, the cases can be:
    • The sink is installed one of those poor that give you with the processor when you buy it. (Change it, it's better)
    • The heatsink and the fans are full of dust, so they can not remove heat efficiently (very likely)
    • If you have recently changed the CPU, you probably have not positioned the thermo-conductive paste between the processor and heatsink. (Bring it back, this time trying to put a drop in the center of the processor and spread it with a fingertip)

Keep us informed ... : Bye:

In this situation what i would suggest you to do is to unplug the computer from the internet (unplug the cable), and let restart the computer, finally open the My Documents folder and leave it for an hour or two (first off all energy saving systems). When you return to see if the My Documents folder open on your desktop, then it is not a hardware problem instead of hardware it is a virus infection issue and you should scan your system with the help of a good Antivirus program.