Thread: Function F5 key in not working on Toshiba Portege R500-S5006X

Function F5 key in not working on Toshiba Portege R500-S5006X

Until a few days ago my Toshiba Portege R500-S5006X laptop keyboard is working fine but now, I am not able to tap function F5 key, all other keys on my computer is working good. When I press F5 button I get various icons on my screen. And I used to work on external monitor but when I want to make my external monitor as primary but I am not able to do. I don't know what should i do to overcome these two query. I am running windows 7 on my laptop. Can anyone give me suggestion for this? Thanks in advance.

Re: Function F5 key in not working on Toshiba Portege R500-S5006X

I have search regarding your question and I think normally this kind of problem can be solve by just rebooting the machine. Even if the problem remains then, as far my knowledge Toshiba’s this laptop model may requires drivers for the function keys to work. I advise you to first check the drivers for the same, that is they are up to date or not and another solution is, remove driver for the same and again do the fresh installation.

Function f5 key is shortcut key that is use to set the monitor option and I guess that without using F5 key you can switch between the monitors. If you are getting problem with F5 key again and again then, there is shortcut way to set your external monitor as primary just right clicking on the desktop and then click on the screen resolution option, here you can find all related setting related to both monitors. And then set the requires settings as you want.

I was getting similar kind of problem the one of my friends suggested me to download and install these three on your laptop.
    • Toshiba Display Device Change Utility for Windows XP
    • Toshiba Hotkey Utility for Display Device for Windows XP
    • Toshiba ACPI Common Modules for Windows XP

Then as he suggested I installed all them and after restarting my laptop i can able to tap F5 key again. And I will suggest you the same advice, to fix your query. If you are having other query then reply me.

There is ways to set your external monitor as primary by using windows control panel and then go to the display and click on the setting screen and then to set primary monitor put the check mark in the front of the option “use this device as my primary monitors”. And to resolve F5 key issue get the hot key utility zip file from Toshiba and install it on your laptop and restart for once.