Thread: Does Android supports Alternate Line Service or Orange Line2

Does Android supports Alternate Line Service or Orange Line2

Hey I have been using the HTC desire. I bought it when the first launch. I heard about the Line2 or ALS service in mobile. This service has been produced by the orange company for mobile such as iphone. I think that now some of the orange customers still have this Alternate Line service. Now my question is whether my Desire will support this service or not? If I upgrade it will it going to work? Some says that it is not completely suitable for the Android based phones. Is it true?

Re: Does Android supports Alternate Line Service or Orange Line2

Anyway your guess seems to correct. The answer is also seems to be, that it is partially supported at the moment, but not fully. If you ring the line2 number even as the handset is on, it will ring out in the calling phone, but it does not ring on handset, in reality, there is no sign whatever that it's being called to. If someone calls line2 whilst you may be on an active call on the handset then you do get the caller waiting signal, caller ID is visible and of course you can take the call also. When you send a text to line2, then it does come through to the handset.

Orange doesn’t offers Line 2 for new subscriptions. You can get it only in old line. If you cancel the line you don't get it back anyway. The Line2 number once was supported by HTC hero partially. The situation in Desire is no better because you cannot change lines on the phone. For this you need to take the Sim out of your phone and put it in a phone that does support line 2. Then change the line and put it back into your Desire. If you have changed lines you can make calls on Line 2, but I think you cannot receive them.

The ALS or Line2 service permit a SIM to have two phone numbers registered to it and provides the capability to the user to pick from which line 1 or 2 to make a phone call or send a sms/mms. It also allows for any of the two lines to receive calls without having to turn off the one first. Now I think that the orange has already turned off the Line 2 service or Alternate Line service. But some old subscribers still may have it. You may try this service on other network. As far as the android phone concern it does not support Line2 service by the orange.

The Line2 or ALS feature has to be supported by the mobile carrier. It is undeniably supported by numerous networks, like Orange, eplus and A1 (AT). However only most phones support this service but not all phones prop up the quality. In order to be able to use this feature, your phone must show a devoted menu to toggle the lines from 1 to 2. This menu is frequently deactivated if the carrier does not hold up the ALS-service and the phone is branded. I hope that in future there might be any possibility to activate the menus in the unbranded version phones.