Thread: need guide to set windows and mac server setup?

need guide to set windows and mac server setup?

I have been significance on the way to do this for a extremely long instance as well as lastly in view of the fact that I am receiving a new Macbook Air I am going on the way to jump into it.My brother is having an old style Macbook, I will shortly have a macbook air. I have three main computers each and every one PC as well as running windows 7 at my home. One as a main computer, one media server and an HTPC.I wish for on the way to ultimately install WHS on the server, however in view of the fact that I have over 10TB of storage space as well as no means on the way to back all this up at the same time as I update the operating system; I have now left windows 7 pro on the server as well as it has been working okay.My objective is to have a semi-cloud backup/storage design. I would as well like to finally be able on the way to direct friends as well as families to specific photo or video directories that they may possibly access maybe all the way through a VPN or somewhat similar to it.Any assistance would be a big help.

Re: need guide to set windows and mac server setup?

As per my knowledge OS X has SMB Windows File Sharing access built in. For this from the Finder menu, you be able to type command-K as well as type in smb://name or ip of server//share name OS X will accumulate that share as a network drive. Provided that your permissions are accurate as well as people make use of the proper logins after that there should not be an problem of sharing files.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

As a result first you will require an external IP easy enough by means of a dynamic DNS service observe dyndns.com.After that the query becomes how you desire people on the way to access this.Open access is dangerous. Such as, if you put down open FTP after that somebody could brute force the password as well as make use of your server.Setting up a VPN is the most excellent option, as well as depending on your router there are addons on the way to install.

Setup a firewall infront of each and every one your equipment, I suggest Astaro or else Untangle, after that on one occasion you have it running, setup the vpn as well as wola .I do this furthermore it works immense. Having a vpn, it’s presently similar to being at home hitting the apple K as well as after that mounting your shares = good :0 As well setting your vpn up as a result you be able to surf all the way through your home firewall = more security .

As a result let me observe if I have this right.
    1. I install Untangle on my server where the untangle software is the new operating system for my server.
    2. Make a decision which add-ons I require. Most possible the firewall as well as the OpenVPN add-on?
    3. Install OpenVPN on the computers I desire on the way to connect to the server.
    4. Login to the vpn as well as be on my way
    The query I have is; what regarding at what time I require on the way to connect to the server when I am at home?

I would suggest you to perform the below suggested things;
    1]Register by means of no-ip.org, dyndns.org
    2]after this Install the dynamic update client on your fileserver
    3]now Configure OpenVPN server on your fileserver
    4]After this Configure the OpenVPN client on the macbooks.
    5] And finally Point the client towards yourdomain.no-ip.org or whatever
    Fundamental OpenVPN setup:
    1]Create certificates as these recognize the server as well as client
    2]Now Set up passwords
    3]After this Set up routing on the server. The VPN users typically acquire a split subnet.
    You will require on the way to configure IP routing on the server as a result that it acts as a gateway for the VPN subnet.