Thread: How to set default audio device in VLC

How to set default audio device in VLC

I am having a query regarding VLC player that it, after installing VLC on my Desktop computer running on Linux operating system. I have to select audio device again and again to play the media files. It is so frustrating thing to do when playing any media file on it, I am using this media player because any format can be run on VLC and it easy to use. If anyone is familiar with this problem then please give me solution. Any suggestion will appreciate.
    Last edited by Jagavee; 20-11-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Re: How to set default audio device in VLC

I have seen that many of the peoples get this query because of them is not familiar with the extra setup. You will also need to do some setting to choose the default device. You just have to run VLC from the terminal using this command vlc --aout alsa --alsa-audio-device surround51.Surrround 5.1 is the default device to play with. When running this command you may get an error that says “audio device "surround51" is already in use” but then also continue with same command.

I was getting same problems while playing any single files then for that i searched through the sites and i have found this setting. Here I have given you manual setting to solve query that will help you keep you audio device to default.
    • Open the VLC media player and
    • Go to the settings option and
    • Click on the audio and choose the output modules
    • Also select the DirectX and choose the speaker

I hope this information may help you.

In my point of view you can use this command to setting default audio device for VLC. I have tried same command on my machine to keep the audio device to the default, and you should try same command.
    • /etc/modprobe.d with these lines
    • alias sound-card0 snd-usb-audio
    • options snd-usb-audio index=0
    • alias sound-card0 snd-hda-intel
    • options snd-hda-intel index=1

I have found another way to keep you audio device default for VLC by doing some settings in the settings option. Go to the setting option select audio device option and then the check mark in the option Use SPdif if it unchecked and also change the output to the WaveOut. After all this setting again start VLC player to see the changes. I have not used same setting on my VLC, but i hope it will for you, If this is not works then reply back to me.
    Last edited by Odalis; 20-11-2010 at 08:41 PM.