Thread: Cannot charge battery On Dell inspiron 1501

Cannot charge battery On Dell inspiron 1501

I have a Dell inspiron 1501. I am using this from last two months. It was working for that time but from last 2 two days, I am not able to charge the battery. Whenever I try to charge the battery then it comes up with the message that says: "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will run slower and the battery will not charge..." I think that the adapter is not getting recognized. Can you tell me that what may be the problem with this and how can I come out of this issue? Please provide me the solution as early as possible. Thank you.

Re: Cannot charge battery On Dell inspiron 1501

As you told that you are using this from last two months and if you have bought it new then you must have the warranty card for this. I cannot understand that why are you trying anything from your side? I am sure that it is under warranty and if that is the case then take this to the dealer from where you bought this and ask them for the same. See whether they are able to help you or not? If you are not satisfied with them then you can send this back directly to the manufacturer and they will definitely solve the issue and if it has some major issue then they will replace this with the new one.

In many of the cases like this, I have seen that the problem is with the windows power settings. I would like to tell you that there is a utility in Dell that will help you fix this problem but it depends on the operating system. I am not sure but if you are using a 64 bit operating system then you will not find the solution for this on dell but if you are having the 32 bit OS then you can try this and see whether It works for you or not? Reboot and install the utility that you can download from the link below.
    Download Power manager
    Install this and boot your system again to make the changes take effect. If you are using Windows XP then the same stuff can be downloaded from here.

This may be problem with the BIOS in your system. Have you checked the power setting under the BIOS? If you are not able to find or understand this then you can download the latest BIOS update and install that to your computer. Many of the time I have seen the updating the BIOS solves the issues like this.

I think that you are right and the problem is with the laptop ac adapter. I would like to tell you that Dell has a build in mechanism that ensures that the charger that you are using is Dell before letting it to charge the battery. Even if you are using the Dell charger and the identifier chip inside the adapter is damaged then also it will refuse it and will not let it charge. So you should make sure that you are using a Dell charger and if that is fine then the adapter is having problem to recognize that and you can go for replacing the AC adapter.

You can try the following points to see whether this helps you or not? Here are the points that you have to try.
    1. First of all remove the battery from the system.
    2. Take a look at the connectors and check the battery for the symbols of damage.
    3. Press the status button to see the battery charge.
    4. Insert the battery again and push that until it gets fits into the place.