Thread: Problem in Novatel Verizon USB760 with Ubuntu

Problem in Novatel Verizon USB760 with Ubuntu

Hello friends I have ubuntu 8.10 operating system on my laptop and I am looking for setting up wireless Novatel USB 760 modem but dues to some reason I am unable to do it. Whenever I try to connect the usb 760, the laptop doesn't recognize it. However I have installed all the drivers that are necessary fo it but then also I am not able to connect it to the usb 760. Thus any one has a solution for this kind of problem. I would be very thankful to any one who have come up with a nice solution. Eagerly waiting for the reply.

Re: Problem in Novatel Verizon USB760 with Ubuntu

Hey first of all I would like to ask you that can you give me the information related to your kernel which you are currently using. Sometimes it does depend on the kernel version, while connecting to the usb760. Also, I would want to know whether what was the status in the /dev directory when you connected the usb to your laptop. Also, if it does shows that the usb is connected then also look for the information related to drivers whether it is coming up or not in the /dev directory. Also., until and unless all the information in the ./dev directory are unknown, I don't think so any on be able to provide any good solution for solving your problem.

First off about my Kernel, I would want to inform you that I am using version 2.6.27-11-generic kernel on my laptop. And, yes I have installed all the drivers that are needed to run the usb and I have even cheeked the./dev directory, although the drivers are coming up in the directory as /dev/ttyACM0, but when I connect the usb it doesn't shows up in the /dev directory.
    This is how my /dev directory reads.

• 1a2
    • > after
    • 6a8
    • > cdrom1
    • 315a318
    • > scd1
    • 323a327,328
    • > sdc
    • > sdc1
    • 328a334,335
    • > sg3
    • > sg4
    • 333a341
    • > sr1
    • 678a687,691
    • > usbdev5.3_ep00
    • > usbdev5.3_ep06
    • > usbdev5.3_ep08
    • > usbdev5.3_ep85
    • > usbdev5.3_ep87

So now considering this information can any one be able to give me some advice related to my problem. I am in a very hurry to solve this issue.

Hey since you are not able to locate the usb 760 when you connect it to the laptop, so I would suggest you to use the USB VIEW to locate the device on the laptop and then you might be able to detect the usb drive. Also, if this doesn't works then you should check the usb bus drive where you can get some information related to the usb hardware. Usually, if the bus is at fault then the usb will never be located so first check this before we come on to any kind of conclusion. The one method which I have used to detect the usb is Isusb, and got the following: Bus 004 Device 003: ID 1410:5030. So there are various options to try out before you think of changing the kernel.

Looks like this is a universal problem for all the users who are using the Novatel usb 760, as I am also facing the same problem with my usb 760 not able to detect on my computer system with fedora operating system on it. i have tried various solution but still no use. I think that the usb 760 is not at all compatible with the linux operating system and I think either we have to use the windows based version of the drivers and the use wine to make it compatible or we have to entirely change the kernel to make the usb compatible with the computer system, both of which are very difficult to maintain. So thus any one has come to know about the solution for this issue, if yes the please do reply.

Looks like this is a universal problem for all the users who are using the Novatel usb 760, as I am also facing the same problem with my usb 760 not able to detect on my computer system with fedora operating system on it. i have tried various solution but still no use. I think that the usb 760 is not at all compatible with the linux operating system and I think either we have to use the windows based version of the drivers and the use wine to make it compatible or we have to entirely change the kernel to make the usb compatible with the computer system, both of which are very difficult to maintain. So thus any one has come to know about the solution for this issue, if yes the please do reply.

Hey I have got the solution for all your problems. First , you have to go in the /dev directory and make the following changes.
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
    find the line that contains "Novatel_Mass_Storage" and append the following to it:
    RUN+="/usr/bin/eject %k"
    After you have done the above you have to save all the changes that you have made. Now go to the usb settings and make the following changes in its properties
    • <match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x1410">
    • <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="0x6000">
    • <match key="@info.parent:usb.interface.number" int="0">
    • <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">modem</append>
    • <append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">IS-707-A</append>
    • </match>
    • </match>
    • </match>

After doing all the above don’t forget to save all the changes. Once you have done this plug in your card and make sure it shows the new hardware and then you will be able to make full use of the usb.