Thread: Can we change the OS of simple mobile phones

Can we change the OS of simple mobile phones

Hello friends, I am engineering student and we all have some technical related project on any thing which we want. So i am looking to develop an upgrade a simple mobile phone by installing some other OS on it. I would want to make a simple cheapest mobile to have all the features as some highly featured mobile has. Atleast i would want the simple phone to play MP3 songs on it . So some one who has done this before or someone with adequate knowledge about this can please give me some suggestion on how can I be able to make this possible.

Re: Can we change the OS of simple mobile phones

According to me a simple mobile phone is designed to have a low range operating system and you cannot install a very high featured operating system like android. So I dont think so that the simple mobile phones that you are looking to upgrade by inserting a new operating system is not possible. Also, since most of the new mobiles that are there in the market has all the features that to with a very low cost. So I dont think so that any one would have tried using that since they will find more expensive to upgrade the mobile then they will buying a new one. So I would suggest you to not to do nay such advancement in the low cheap mobile phones.

Hey according to me you can surely upgrade the simple monophonic mobiles and allow it to support many features that the mobile withe advanced operating system already contains. It will all depend on the handsets that you are currently using. if you are using series 40 / java enabled handsets then you will probably no be able to upgrade the mobile to include all the features you want. But suppose if you are using series 60 / symbian series mobiles then, might be able to install another OS on the mobile phone and can even advance its feature in a more delightful manner.

Yes you can change the OS of the previous old mobile phones and can even make it more interesting by including more features on that handsets.The NOKIA 1100 can apparently be reprogrammed to use someone else's phone number, which would also let the device receive text messages. That capability opens up an opportunity for online banking fraud. Considering this you might be able to know what are the features we can really advance in the old mobile phones to generally make it behave like a smart phone. So it all depends on what and which platform mobile you want to upgrade.

Hey I would like to inform you that most of the kernel of the old mobile phones are really of low defination and cant really handle the high end operating system that are available in the market today. The kernel will not be able to handle the operating system that you might want. Although there are boot loaders that will help in enabling the kernel to boot the operating system of your choice but I guess that the boot loaders wont really support the the kernel that are there on the low quality cheap mobile phones. So I would suggest you to drop the idea of making the upgrade in the mobile phones as it will be just a waste of time.

Well according to me you wont be able to install linux on china phones infact you wont be able to install linux on any other mobile phones as well. Computer and mobiles are two different things. Mobile is for doing sms and making calls,so use it for that purpose only. You can only install linux on yor computer system or laptops . So please I would suggest you not to waste your effort in installing linux on your mobile as it is not possible. Instead you buy a new mobile phone with either symbian or android operating system on it.