Thread: Can I install Linux on Nokia E62

Can I install Linux on Nokia E62

I have the Nokia E 62 and I am really found of this phone. Well I just want to know if I can have the Ubuntu installed on this mobile phone. I have seen that this can be done on the other Nokia mobile phones and hence I think that this can be done here. Well I do not think that I will have to give more detail regarding the mobile phone and so please let me know if at all it is possible on this phone. In addition to all this I just wasn’t to append that I have done nothing extra on the phone and the phone is as it was when I bought it. Well if not Unbuntu then at least any other distribution from the Linux will do. Please let me know about the same at the earliest. Hope that you will come up with the suggestions soon.

Re: Can I install Linux on Nokia E62

Well to say you in a direct manner I think that you must have seen that the Nokia phones that have the Linux and other Distributions of the Linux must be ranging from the N list of the Nokia. The phones that have the Linux must be N800 or N810 and in addition to that I just want to say that they are actually not only phone, they are much more than that. In your case as far as I can see it is really not possible to install the Linux or any other distribution at all. The reason behind this is that the Hardware of the phone is entirely different from the normal PC architecture. The above models can run the Linux as they are the Nokia Internet Tablets and they have the architecture much similar to the normal PC architecture.
    So I think that it is really not possible in your case at all.

Well I have seen the specifications of the mobile phone that you all are talking and I think that in the specification itself you can see the Reason for what Deep has said above. The operating system that this mobile phone is the Symbian OS 9.1, Series 60 UI and I think that this must be the reason that you are no t at all allowed to have the Linux or Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution on your mobile. So I think that it will be better if at all you can just give up this idea and try to be with what you are having. Also in addition to that I want to ask you why do you want to have the Linux or the Ubuntu on the Nokia E62, is there any problem with the Symbian OS 9.1? Well this is just for the curiosity that I am having. If at all you do not have the issue I do not see any point in changing the OS of the Mobile Phone.

I was just moving around the specifications of this mobile phone and I came across the column that was telling the recommended SDK’s that this mobile phone can have. In the recommended sections it was clearly seen that there was no column having the Linux as an entry and I would suggest you to see for some other phone if at all you want to have the Linux enabled mobile phone. For the suggestion I have the Motorola mobile phone and the thing is that they are equipped with the Linux and you will not have to make extra work for having the same. I am sure that I have made the point clear.

Nokia E62 is actually based on the ARM. The ARM is an acronym for the Advanced RISC Machine. Well in addition to that I would like to tell that because of this you will be required to have the LINUX that is based on the ARM. Well there is ARM LINUX in plenty in the outside market but the thing is that installing the same on the Mobile Phone is lot more difficult. It is not like that you will be able to install it as you were able to install the same on the SYSTEM. In order to have the same on your mobile phone you will be required to have the Symbian Series 60 hacked first. In order to have that hacked you will be required to have the HelloX. Get the Hello X for you and then try to proceed with the same I am sure that you will be able to proceed with the installation. If you will have any issue regarding the same then you can let me know in your next post.

I am sure that you will have the problem with the installation of the LINUX on the Nokia E62. Well both are the operating systems viz. Symbian and LINUX and in order to have Linux on the Nokia E62 I am of the opinion that you will have to bypass the Symbian S60 completely. In addition to that I just wasn’t to let you all know that for running the LINUX on the smartphone there are two ways. One is by directly running the OS on the hardware of the Nokia E62 and the other way of doing the same is running Linux Desktop using an Emulator.

Thanks a lot for making the various suggestions in my case but I think that the suggestion that helped me to make my move here was from what Carlos posted. I got the HelloX for me but the HelloX was really complicated. Everything there was very confusing and hence I tried hacking the Mobile Phone using the BiNPDA Ultimate Hacking Kit. Well after I got the smartphone hacked it just says that all the services got activated and I do not see anything else. What should I do next so that I can have the Linux on the cell phone? Also you were talking about the ARM Linux please suggest me the best one for me. I am sure that you will come with the solution soon.