Thread: Linux for Nokia N95 with 8GB

Linux for Nokia N95 with 8GB

I am using a Nokia N95 with 8GB external memory using MicroSD card and have Symbian 9.2. But I am interested to try another OS on it and because I have been using Linux on my computer from last couple of months. So I really want to work with it in my mobile phone also but I really don’t know what version of Linux to go for in my phone. I don’t want to perform critical things with my phone such as hacking phone or something similar to that I want Linux version that can install in my phone normally. So if any have details regarding this please let me know I really want to go for it in my phone.

Re: Linux for Nokia N95 with 8GB

I suggest you to stick with the default Symbian 9.2 OS for your Nokia N95 as it is specially designed for Nokia mobile phones and smartphones. It might happen that you have to remove default OS in order to acquire Linux OS in your N95 that might damage or corrupt applications of your Nokia phone. There can be compatibility issue with Linux OS as you might not get the perfect version of Linux for your N95, so in my advice you just stick to Symbian 9.2 which is default OS in your phone.

I think you can try to have afaik version of Linux for mobile phones. It has GNOME interface that provide you with great applications which you can use in your phone after having it on your Nokia N95. Like "Eye of GNOME" It provide you with the great image viewing experience and provide you with gallery and slideshow buttons for image view. So i think you can have it in your phone to get more applications like this which are accomplished with it that will provide you with great interface.

I am using windows phone in which there is a program which works as a bootloader using that application the phone is reboot and can run Linux (android) which is installed on a MicroSD card. If it is creating any kind of problem then you can uninstall the application and eliminate the MicroSD card from the phone. I think you can perform this to see when the Linux version you are selecting works for your Nokia N95 phone.

I don't think you should have to move to the Linux for the sack that you have are already using it in your computer because there is lots of difference in OS for computer and for phone. You might not get the perfect version of Linux for your Nokia N95, so i think you should work with the default version. But one think you can do to improve the perform your phone is that you can have the update done for your N95 and can update the OS to latest version which you will get on the official website Symbian 9.3. This will surely improve the performance of your phone after which i don't think this should be any need for you to move to Linux as OS in your phone.