Thread: Detecting external monitor on laptop

Detecting external monitor on laptop

I am having laptop of the Dell company. I want to connect my external monitor to the laptop. While connecting external monitor to the USB port located on the laptop and after restarting the laptop i am unable to identify whether the external monitor is detected. I tried connecting again but could not succeed. Is there any way of detecting external monitor on laptop. Provide a solution to connect and also the method through which i can identify.

Re: Detecting external monitor on laptop

After connecting external monitor to the laptop you can identify it by making use of shortcut keys. Suppose your laptop is unable to detect external monitor connected to it then press some shortcut keys. The shortcut keys you need to connect will depend upon your laptop and model. Mostly the shortcut keys are Fn + F3, Fn + F4, Fn + F5, Fn + F8 or Fn + F9. The Fn is known as function keys and you need to press Fn key with the other keys.

While connecting external monitor to PC, the PC detects the external monitor. But suppose you have connected your external monitor and your laptop is unable to identify it then there might be the problem of driver in your laptop. Go to the device manager and check whether there is additional driver required to detect your external monitor. However if additional driver are needed by your laptop then you can download and install the driver and the laptop will identify it.

Suppose that you have plugged the external monitor into the USB port of the laptop during sleep time. Then during the sleep time laptop will not detect the external monitor. For detecting external monitor into the laptop you need start the system. After the laptop has started plug the external monitor into the USB port of the laptop. The laptop will detect external monitor plugged into it.

The above has helped me to detect external monitor on the laptop. While the laptop detects the external monitor then another problem of setting arises. While trying to connect it with the PC there was not any problems of the settings. The display of the external monitor has changed and is different from that of laptop. Are there any solutions for adjusting the display?

After connecting external monitor and if it has been detected by your laptop you can setup your external monitor from the control panel. You need to follow these steps for adjusting the resolution. Go to start/Control panel/ “Appearance and Personalization option. Double click on it and select display.In this window you can adjust your external monitor resolution as you want. After setting the resolution click on OK and the changes will be saved.