Thread: How to connect ZTE mobile broadband dongle with ubuntu

How to connect ZTE mobile broadband dongle with ubuntu

Hello friends, recently I have heard about the ZTE dongle usb modem that can we worked with the ubuntu operating system. So I have my eyes set on this modem and I am very eager to buy it. So can any one help me find out is this possible and if yes how can I be able to carry out the connection. I have a computer system that has ubuntu operating system on it.

Re: How to connect ZTE mobile broadband dongle with ubuntu

Hello dear I think you should provide us with more information on this as it is very difficult to tell what exactly i the problem. Also can you tell me what internet dial-up program are you currently using since you want to upgrade to the usb modem so might require some more drivers than you already have on the system. Also I would suggest you that you should go for the MiFi connection as It is much more flexible than a USB modem, and it'll work with more than just your laptop.
    Last edited by Odalis; 16-11-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Hey according to my knowledge I think that ZTE modem is not compatible with the linux operating system. Linux being capable to handle many new features have still not developed the feature for supporting the ZTE modem, so I request you to please go for windows if you really want to make full use of this ZTE mobile modem on your computer system as windows is more compatible with the ZTE modem.

The ZTE is a usb modem that helps you to combine the 3G+/3G with the GPRS in one compact disc. We can also send datd using this at a speed of 4 mbps and can receive data at a much higher speed of 7 mbps. It comes with aSD card reader integrated inside it.
    So if you want to set up the ZTE modem then you have to go through the following steps.
    Create a file /etc/udev/rules.d/90-zte.conf that contains the following:
    • ACTION!="add", GOTO="ZTE_End"
    • SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0031", SYSFS{idVendor}=="19d2", GOTO="ZTE_Modem"
    • GOTO="ZTE_End"
    • LABEL="ZTE_Modem"
    • RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0x0031", MODE="660", GROUP="network"
    • LABEL="ZTE_End"

Hey even I have purchased the ZTE MF112 Dongle with 3 connect software and connected it to my laptop. After successfully doing the installation I was able to connect to the internet. But when I rebooted my laptop the next day I found out that I was not able to connect to the internet. The status screen comes up but no signal available. I am using windows 7 on my laptop so can any tel lme what exactly is the problem and how can I be able to sort out the issue.

Hey why don’t you again give it a try and reinstall the ZTE dongle modem back again onto your system. It might be that during the first installation some of the files were unable to load successfully and that is why you are getting this problem. Also, after you done with the installation the very first thing you have to do is to reboot the laptop inorder to take the full effect of your installation. I hope this solutions works for you as windows 7 runs almost all the dongle modem with it.

hello friends...I brougth a 3G USB mobem...but I have a problem with my 3G mobile broadband USB stick :-( .[Its brand is O2 Net Partner 7.2M HSDPA USB Modem].Its work properly in Windows.But i want it to work it on Ubuntu.but its not working.That modem's drivers are only work for windows, not Ubuntu. but i want to work on Ubuntu with that USB modem.so I used Network connections tool also in Ubuntu.but it also not working [my Ubuntu version is 8.10]so guys how can i solve this problem??????????.plz help me?????????????

Below are the steps you may follow to work with your ZTE MF636:

1. Just try and boot without the MF636, You need to wait for the system to stabilize, After doing that open a terminal window, Now try and plugin the modem, after plugin you need to wait for 15-20 secs and then run command: lsusb

If you see 19d2:0031 go to step 3.

2. The modem responds 19d2:2000. You may use a special program called usb_modeswitch but I preferred to send the AT command AT+ZCDRUN=8 from a Windows PC to the modem (use HyperTerminal or add it as an extra init command through control panel).
    This command turns off the AUTO RUN function of the internal CD, if you want to return to default you have to send AT+ZCDRUN=9.
    Test again the terminal command lsusb to be sure you have 19d2:0031

3. Make a new "rule" for MF636 to create the usbserial communication port (/dev/ttyUSBx).
    From terminal run: sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/90-zte.rules

ACTION!="add", GOTO="ZTE_End"
    #
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0031",
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="19d2", GOTO="ZTE_Modem"
    #
    LABEL="ZTE_Modem"
    RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0x0031",
    MODE="660", GROUP="dialout"
    #
    LABEL="ZTE_End"

Save and Exit from gedit.

4. Edit HAL info to see MF636 instead of MF628. From a terminal window:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi
    Search (ctrl-F) for 19d2, go to line after "<!-- ZTE MF628 HSDPA USB dongle -->" and change usb.product_id from 0015 to 0031
    Save and exit from gedit.
    NOTE: this edit must be done again if an Ubuntu update restores the file 10-modem.fdi to defaults!

5. Remove modem from USB port, and reboot it, now you need to wait for some time for the system to stabilize,now try and plug in the modem. After a while a message will appear over the Network Manager icon (2 PC screens up right) and help you create a Mobile Broadband connection. After created click to Network Manager Icon, and click to your provider.