Thread: Formatting external hard drive for use with PS3

Formatting external hard drive for use with PS3

I have purchased play station 3 because of its advanced feature such as playing online games, watch movies, TV shows, and chat with friends and also efficient support for download. I am having an external hard drive with some garbage data which are of no use. I have downloaded some software which i want to take into my hard drive. I am unaware about the steps to format hard drive. Is there any way through which i can format my external hard disk so that I can use it with my play station 3 gaming console. Also suggest me if I need to download additional software for formatting.

Re: Formatting external hard drive for use with PS3

The steps to format external hard drive so that it can be used with Play station 3 is as follows:
    1. Connect your hard disk into the PC through USB port.
    2. Go to start/run and enter “diskmgmt.msc” in the run window.
    3. Be sure that you select basic disk instead of dynamic disk. You will see a thick black line if you are having the partition and the hard disk size will be displayed as healthy. To delete the partition click on the hard disk and select delete partition. If the partition is not there then you don’t have to do anything.
    4. If you want to make new partition after deleting the previous one then click on select new partition.
    5. When the window appears click on the next button to continue further. In this select primary disk and click on next button. Enter the size for partition.
    6. Click on assign the drive letter and then choose the drive letter. Now select do not this delete partition and click next.
    7. Now download the software and install it in the C: drive.
    8. Open the command prompt and type “CD /D c:\”. Then type “fat32format m:” A window asking for the confirmation to format it will appear.
    9. Now select yes and your hard disk will be formatted. Now you can use your hard disk with PS3.

There is one easy step through which you can format your hard disk. The step is divided into two parts. First part includes clicking on the start button and opening the run window and typing “cmd” in it. After this step command prompt will appear and now typing format (drive letter):/FS: FAT32. Your hard disk will be formatted.

SwissKnife is a small type of software which is freely available to format hard disk. The steps to use SwissKnife to format hard disk are as follows:
    • Download and install SwissKnife on your system. Click the shortcut of SwissKnife to open it. Click on "Partition and Quick Format" option. Select the hard drive from the devices tab.
    • Right click on “Primary" partition” under the partition tab and then click on format option from the popup menu. Select the type of file system you would like to format hard drive using the drop-down menu near the “File System" tab. If you don’t know which file systems to use then select “NTFS”.
    • Select drive letter from volume field. You can either choose “Quick format” or “Full Format” option. Click on start button to start formatting.

The hard drive formatting is different under different operating system. Under the windows platform you have to choose “NTFS” or “FAT32” to format your hard drive. When using Mac os operating systems click on the application folder and click the disk utility to open it. In this you can select and wipe your data either in “OSX format” or “cross-platform FAT32”. For Linux there is a program called Gparted to format external hard drives to format external hard drive. So proper file system should be selected to format the external drive.

For window user, they can use Gparted which is a Linux program. This program can use boot from CD regardless of the operating system platform. Download the CD and burn the ISO image to the disc. For Mac and Linux user select the ISO file and burn it. Boot the CD as the normal rebooting with the CD inserted into the drive. Gparted will start and select the drive which you want to format. Click on “Apply all operations” on the toolbar. Hard disk will be formatted.