Thread: How to open a .mod video file on Macbook Pro

How to open a .mod video file on Macbook Pro

I have Macbook Pro with me and on this I transferred some files from my digital camera. The problem is that I am unable to open this file on my computer. Looking at the file extension, it is a .mod file and this can be the main reason why I am unable to open this file. I think I don't have the supported application to open this file. Is there anyone who can help me to open this .mod video file on my Macbook Pro?

Re: How to open a .mod video file on Macbook Pro

A .mod is a muxed mpeg 2 file containing a set of instruments in the form of samples indicating how and when it should be played, and a list of what patterns to play in what order. It is made specially for Windows Media Player. However, if you are on Mac operating system you will need to convert this file, with the help of a converter software, in to a file which is supported by your QuickTime in order to be playable.

From which application did you tried to play the video file? I suppose you must be playing with Quicktime player but if it was tried from some other software then do tell me? Was it played but you didn't have something like clip or sound, or was it not at all played and you got some message something like which says the file is not supported? If you didn't got the sound only then I suppose you don't have AC3 decoder. There are some digital cameras which records audio using AC3 decoder and so it requires you to have this decoder installed on your computer to be playable on it. You can download this decoder from internet and install it on your computer and see if it works.

A .mod is an audio file present in mpeg-2 files. PlayerPro is a music composer and sound editor ( SoundTracker ) for MOD S3M XM IT UMX. This file can run on Mac OS and OS X computer. PlayerPRO can load and play the following formats: MOD, S3M, MIDI, MTM, MADx, OKTA, System 7 sound, MINS, WAV, XI, AIFF, AIFC, MED, 669, and XM.

The MOD is an audio format file which was designed to be directly playable on the Amiga without additional processing. Camcorders and digital cameras use a .MOD extension to save their video files. But the problem is that most of the well known applications cannot read this file. These files are actually standard MPEG2 sound files and so the simple way to read the file is by using a mod file converter. However if you do not want to install third party software on your computer than you can still view this video with the help of VLC player. Yes, VLC player do support these mod files and you can easily play them.

There is easy solution to open a .mod file on Macbook Pro because the file is not at all supported. However if you convert this file into some other format such as .avi then it would be easy to open the file with Quicktime player. So you have to first convert the file into .avi and for this you just need to have a software, probably “Prism Converter”, which can perform the conversion operation. Once downloaded and installed on your computer, launch the prism software. Choose the .mod file, drag and drop the file to Prism Converter. The Prism Converter will automatically detect the file type and will ask you to provide the destination where you want to store the converted file. Click on the Convert button. That's it and the files will be converted to avi within few minutes.