Thread: Portable Hard drive not working

Portable Hard drive not working

I am posting this message because I have a small problem. I just bought an external hard drive 300 GB maxtor diamond max and it is not recognized on my desktop PC as well as on my laptop. So I get a little and saw the need to update the bios of my motherboard (asus A7V8X-X). So I was on the asus website and I downloaded a new version of bios. On maxtor website I was told to start the system in DOS mode but nothing helps and in short could someone help me?

Re: Portable Hard drive not working

If your hard drive is not recognized you can resolve this problem under the following circumstances Simply follow the steps which are mentioned below:

• Go to run and type "Regedit" without the double quotes.

• Regedit access to this key, if available, scroll:

• HKeyCurrentUser \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Current Version \ Policies \ Explorer

• The values "NoDrives" and "NoViewOnDrive" Delete. Depending on availability.

• Restart your computer system and the problem should be fixed.

The hard disk Diamond Maxtor 250 GB (internal) and an ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard. For a new Maxtor hard disk Maxblast4 must be installed if you are using the Maxtor hard drive either as your hard disk storage, or to copy some of your old data or some files which are confidential and you cannot afford to loose to your new Hard Disk Drive. You can download this application from the following link Maxblast4 Download this application and install the same on your system this will definitely help you to fix the issue.

I had a similar problem Maxtor (ATA) in external (USB) in an Icy Box with a lot of data to be recognized in either the file manager or in the "Computer Management" under Vista. Appeared, however, USB storage device.
    I think a lot of people in this case. This drive came from my old PC with XP to FAT32. This is the master disk.

Having not looked at things complicated, here's exactly what I did:
    • I turned the little pin on the back of DD (the one that says if it is Master, slave etc.).
    • I turned on the hard disk BEFORE plugging it into my PC via USB.
    • I plugged in, once launched on the PC.
    • Miracle, detection, automatic installation, detection volumes (3 partitions on my HDD), and appeared in the file manager.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems do not recognize the HDD over 250GB Partitioned even though there is a trick that I use and works very well. It must first partition your HDD with a total of 250 GB a few of the number of sections that you will create (you can use Partition Magic or GParted free) and it is only once the partitions have been created formatted but also you can install your system, windows XP or windows 2000. After the proper functioning of your system, You need to turn on Partition Magic and then finally activate the last remaining part of Hard Drive Disk and you should format it. You will have an additional hard drive equal to the value or size of what remained inactive before.