Thread: How to repair Gateway laptop keyboard

How to repair Gateway laptop keyboard

I am suffering from a situation that I could use some advice from anybody. One of my good friends who have a laptop from Gateway and the model is from around 2006. He was using this laptop for some small needs like a little work on the office, E-mail, and also surfing some social networking sites. Well let com on the issue actually the problem he is facing with his laptop is due to the spilling of coffee by mistake of his wife. The coffee was totally spilled on the keyboard and at the same time LCD of the laptop goes black. After this happen she immediately removed the power cable and flapped the laptop to get the liquid out and again checked that after a few hours but fails to get the laptop working. I have seen the laptop and removed the keypad and done some formal cleaning as there was a lot of deposition of coffee was there under the keyboard and the keyboard has a plastic packing. I haven’t done any further steps as far as taking out the motherboard. Is this a case where the system is totally destroyed as the keyboard is just destroyed? I am thinking that this laptop will not work as it get toasted I think but need some help as this friend of mine has helped me many times. I will appreciate if any solution I will get is helping me. Please help me.

Re: How to repair Gateway laptop keyboard

It seems that you need to clear the surface below the keypad again and use some cleaning liquid which will help you to get the surface cleaned totally. As you have done only a formal cleaning there which may be resulting in the key might be sticking their which may one reason of this cause. After this incident there may be some fault occurred in the keyboard too. As you have specified that there is a plastic below the keypad which may get contracted after the contact of the hot coffee. Which may be functioning something in the system for the support of the keyboard like smoothness of the keyboard at the time of typing? So I think just change that plastic and see if you will get the solution for this issue. Or you can do the cleaning using some can of compressed air from the local vendor as these are easily available at all computer selling stores. I f still you are not getting the solution I would like to suggest to change the keyboard.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

As you have said that the liquid is totally confined on the laptops keyboard and your system get dark after this then this may be a cause that the liquid may went to some hardware connections like soldering of wires and many circuits are there under the keypad which may get damaged due to this incident. As per my concern spilling of liquid on the keyboard will lead to the lock up of the system and might affect the interfere with some post process which is needed to restart the system like the registering keys may get stuck. But this doesn’t shut the machine and make it dark. For this you may need to check if the liquid get collected somewhere below the keyboard. I can suggest you only to remove the keyboard and clean the residue with the 90% isopropyl alcohol rinse together deionized water and after this just bake the moisture back out in an oven but do not hot it much so that you will get the plastic warped which is used under the keyboard. You can also buy the newer model on the different online shopping sites as they may have this. Try doing all these things to get the desired solution.

I think this an issue related to the some hard ware part may get destroyed due to this spilling of coffee on the keyboard. As only keyboard will not let your screen get dark. It could be only some hardware related issue. So to fix this issue you need to get contact with the laptop repair center and try to know what is the problem actually which lead you to this issue of getting dark screen on the laptop. But before doing this I would like suggest you to get an alternate keyboard which any of your friend may be using it on their laptop and see if this issue is still persist then it is only the problem of some hardware parts. If that alternate keyboard is working on your laptop then you will need to replace your keyboard and after that you may get the solution. Try doing these things which I have suggested you and see if you will get the solution or not.

After searching a lot on the web for the advice you need to fix the issue of spilling sticky liquid on the laptop keyboard I have found a solution which will restore the keyboard to new or better then the previous one and also you will get a better performance. Actually laptop keyboard never get wear they just get foul out. For this cleaning you need the following cleaning material. As your problem seems that it is happens to your laptop only due to the keyboard. This cleaning process will need only two hours. The things are as follows:
    • Cotton swabs for cleaning,
    • Cosmetic foam rubber cleaning pads,
    • Paper towels or you can use tissue paper,
    • Alcohol which we use for cleaning such things,
    • water for cleaning the keys before using the alcohol and solvent to reduce the reaction,
    • lighter fluid,
    • scissors,
    • kitchen strainer,
    • Household cleaner,
    • super lube dry film spray.

I think you should to do a step wise cleaning of the keyboard with cleaning of its each key so to do this just follow the steps described below:
    • First of all disassemble the keyboard and remove all the keys from the keyboard and remember that keep the place from where you have removed the key should be again placed there only and then clean each of them carefully and remember that there are some small rubber piece for each key and so remove them carefully.
    • After this just clean keyboard using cotton swabs slightly dipped into the water. Remember the cotton should be slight damped into the water which will clean all the contaminates like coffee, tea etc. After these repeat this process again using alcohol and cotton swabs don’t do this process with the rubber pieces and after this again repeat the process with the neptha.
    • After this clean all the rubber components with the kitchen strainer. Spray with household and leave them for 5 minutes.
    • After this place all the cleaned keys on the paper bag and then coat the key with the super lube dry film lubricant and let them to dry. Do not use this lubricant in an access manner will affect the plastic.
    • After this mask off the laptop and do the same lubricant coating to the keyboard and let it dry.
    • After this reassemble all the things which you have disassembled.