Thread: reformatting ipod

reformatting ipod

This (like so many other problems) should be easy. But it's proving otherwise...

I recently bought a secondhand 80GB 5th gen iPod video that had been owned by a Mac user, and wouldn’t register on iTunes when I connected it with my PCs. I therefore decided to re-format it as FAT32. Two days later I am still trying. Here's what I've tried so far.

Right-clicking in My Computer in both Windows XP and 7: FAT32 not given as an option

Formatting from command line using "format h: /FS:FAT32": format attempts started in both XP and 7, only to fail with messages that the disk was too large to be formatted as FAT32.

SwissKnife Premium utility: it could only ‘see’ about 20GB of the iPod and attempts to format (either complete or quick) were abortive, incurring messages about read/write errors.

Freeware command line executable (fat32format.exe), which correctly read the size of the disk and appeared to format it in a couple of seconds. However, since then, it still doesn’t register on iPod updater, iTunes v6 (the version that this model of iPod should have been released with) or the latest version (iTunes v10).

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool: this tool has got very good reviews, and I went to it with my last vestiges of hope but when I tried to use it, but received an error message telling me “Device media is write-protected.”

I really don’t know what to do next. Please help me if you can. Many thanks, Mark

Re: reformatting ipod

Well you can perform the act that is reformatting the device. There is a procedure through which you can make it work. All you need to is to connect to the Windows system. Now you have to check out that is by performing the synchronization of iPod with your system. As it is been done the iPod management screen will appear. now on midway down that screen there's a button that reads "Restore." Click on it this will then let it to restore to factory settings. You should make a backup before you do this. Then resynchronize the device with system that contains iTunes Library. You may be prompted if you want to erase and sync the ipod. Click Yes and it will redownload the iTunes library to iPod. This will be helpful for you. Check out.

Hi, thanks for your answer, I think if I understand it correctly you are advising me to restore the iPod in iTunes? Unfortunately, as I stated in my original post, I haven't had much success getting the iPod to show in iTunes. If it doesn't show then options like restore and synchronise aren't available. Yesterday I did get the iPod to appear in iTunes (v9 - I have also tried v6 and v10) and selected the restore option, but this didn't work. As in other applications, the format process ended prematurely.

If you didn't mean for me to try to reformat in iTunes, sorry for misunderstanding you, what programme or process were you referring to? Any other advice would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark.

You can also rest your iPod without itunes. What you need to do is simply hold down the MENU and Center buttons for about 15 seconds simultaneously. This will reset your iPod but you may loose all your data. So, ensure or try to bakup your device if any possible way.