Thread: How to avoid performance loss of X18-M G1 SSD on Mac OS X Snow Leopard

How to avoid performance loss of X18-M G1 SSD on Mac OS X Snow Leopard

I have Mac OS X Snow Leopard installed on my computer. I want to utilize my X18-M G1 SSD on this computer. I was purchased last year. But I think this ssd have reached his age. Still until I get a new ssd I want to get as much as possible from this SSD. I don't want to loose performance. Is it possible? Is there any workaround or hacks which can allow me to avoid performance loss of this SSD? I want to have TRIM on this SSD. How can I get it?

Re: How to avoid performance loss of X18-M G1 SSD on Mac OS X Snow Leopard

It completely depends on which controller you are having. If you are using Intel SATA controller, which should be in AHCI mode and Microsoft AHCI driver, you can have TRIM. But if you are having it with Intel "chipset driver" instead you would not have TRIM because the Intel driver does not provide you the TRIM. Whatever may be the case, if, however, you are using the Microsoft AHCI driver you should be able to have it on all AHCI-capable chips. If you want to have it in IDE mode you can still have trim; the driver which supports TRIM is known as pciide.sys (which is a microsoft driver). However if you install the chipset drivers which use a different vendor driver then it will not support TRIM.

Are you sure you have been using this Intel SSD on your Mac OS X computer? I don't think Intel provide any support for Mac operating system. I should suggest you to consult with Mac support team to discuss about this problem. This is the main reason why you will not gain any performance with your SSD on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. And for Intel X18-M G1 SSD support for TRIM, this is not yet supported by Intel SSD. You can get this command support on the second generation of solid state drive.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

There is nothing unusual about the fact that SSDs loose performance over time. The benchmark reports states this that used ssds are far worse than other used drives. During the report, they used southbridge drivers which helped in getting the report more accurate. It clearly showed that ssds get slower with time as compared to normal hard disk drivers. Apart from the benchmark report, there are a lot of techies who have reported the problem of loss of performance with an old ssd and almost no one have the best solution to get the maximum out of it once it started loosing performance.

The SSD that you are having, Intel X18-M G1, is having MLC architecture. Basically, whether a SSD will loose performance or not depends completely on the SSDs architecture. Their are two architecture in SSD: MLC and SLC. Ideally SLC does not face the problem of performance loss; whereas MLC do loose performance. This is one of the main reason why SLC are too costly while MLC isn't. Since your SSD belongs to MLC there is no solution to re-gain the performance. MLC will loose the performance and you can't do anything on it. No hack will work on it.