Thread: Can I create a custom control in Windows Phone 7

Can I create a custom control in Windows Phone 7

I have seen an demo from the Microsoft web site and from there I have design my code and in that I am getting error but I am not able to understand that what is that error. Sorry actually I have forgotten to give the link so for this you just click here and you will reach to the destination. I am able to look the tradition control in the designer but when I go to launch the emulator at that time custom control is not there. Can anyone tell me what I am missing in that or you have any other solution related to it then please tell me?
    Last edited by mANICKAVASAN; 27-10-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Re: Can I create a custom control in Windows Phone 7

Ok buddy I have read that demo which you have given in your post and in that I have got your problem. And in this you have to do only one thing you just inline the definition which is for the control template or you can do one thing more actually in that the themes/Generic.xml you have to keep this file either in to the resource dictionary or the dictionary which is defined in that file or you can use some other files also. And you can do this with the pointer to that external file in Generic.xml. And just want to thanks for your advice.

Answer of your question is yes it is possible and you can create and use this I mean custom control on to the windows phone 7. And I am not able to get that why you are not getting anything. Regarding this have tried any other non-custom control to the screen you can add these just above or below to your button and check it whether you are getting these or not. And if you are not able to get then something wrong in your code. You can post the zip file of your code and if somebody interested then he can check these code whether it is working for him or not.

I think there may an issue which is concerning with the code. I think you have commented outside to this code:
    Code:
     DefaultStyleKey = typeof(SimpleButton). And in the Desktop Silverlight
    at any rate that line is necessary to connect the control with its default template, which has to be in Themes/generic.xaml. and I do not be acquainted with whether Themes/generic.xaml is carried in Windows Phone 7 or what if any the alternative would be if it is not. And if you are not using the default template then I do not think that you will be going to see anything.