Thread: failure to install Magic Trackpad update 1.0 on Macbook Air

failure to install Magic Trackpad update 1.0 on Macbook Air

I am having Macbook air 15 inch with 128Gb solid state drive 4GB RAM. model identifier is Macbook air 2.1. I try to install the new Trackpad/ Multitouch update 1.0 but it gives message failure to update Trackpad 1.0. I have downloaded it thrice and try to install more than six times but I get the repeated failure message. I have 10.6.4 but I do not have any third party multi-touch software with smart scroll, better touch tool and so on. It gets through the install process to the move part and right at the end time fails and says to contact software manufacturer or try installing it again.If you have any solution please help?

Re: failure to install Magic Trackpad update 1.0 on Macbook Air

This issue was fixed my myself and you just need to follow the instruction given below to solve your problem.
    1. Open Finder and move to the system->library->extensions folder
    2. Browse and find 'AppleUSBMultitouch.kext'
    3. Edit the permissions to read/write.
    4. Delete it.
    5. And Reboot. It will rebuild by itself.
    6. When it come back you will find a replacement .kext ignore it.You will also see that your trackpad and keyboard is not working.
    7. Use another Mac to reinstall the MultiTouch update.
    8. After the installation complete you need to Reboot
    9. Reboot and your keyboard, trackpad are back up and running again

I too have the issue with my upgrade to Trackpad 1.0. And follow the procedure given above and magic Trackpad is working perfectly om Macbook air. I downloaded a 32 bit driver but when I try to run the driver I receive the following error message The installed product does not match the installation source and until the matching source is provided this action can not be performed. It prompt me the following source C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache\Boot Camp 3.0.0. when I press the OK then it say that the file is not valid. Does any one has any idea what wrong I am doing?

As per my Knowledge Magic Trackpad driver requires the Bootcamp drivers 3.1 to be already installed. You have mention Boot camp 3.0.0 which make me assume that you are having Bootcamp 3.0 drivers and I would suggest you to download and try to install the Bootcamp 3.1 driver package from support.apple site and then again try the Magic Trackpad driver.

I would suggest you to use Safe boot option that windows support. You can use this option to start windows so that you can modify the registry to load or remove drivers. To follow the safe Boot option follow thsi procedure:
    1. Restart your system and continuously press F8 key on your keyboard.
    2. When windows Advanced option appears select an option and then press Enter
    3.Boot menu appears again and words safe mode appear at the bottom select the installation you want to start and press Enter.
    This safe mode option uses a minimal set of drivers and services to start windows
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I check version of my Bootcamp drivers and it is 3.1. I have found the following two problems when checking it.
    1.It appears that this is not with it, it happens with any type of update it try to find the drivers in folder 3.0.0.
    2.I moved from a 2.4GHZ macbook air to a 2.66GHz macbook air, so the Boot camp help I am asking for my new macbook air using winclone. I try to upgrade the driver in my old Macbook air and it happen successfully. So I think that I have done some mistakes or winclone install was not 100% perfectly. I will reformat my boot camp partition and install windows 7 and after then I will try to update the driver to see if this solve the problem.