Thread: No Local Database in Windows Phone 7

No Local Database in Windows Phone 7

I am having a Windows Phone which has a latest windows mobile operating system that is Windows Phone 7. I have heard that this operating system won't be having a database support such as SQL. I know that there is an Azure Cloud Service which i can use for the same but the thing is i don't want to stuck with it. I am having a database of some around 1000+ items which cannot be accessed by my customer when they go offline. How can i deal with this issue?

Re: No Local Database in Windows Phone 7

Today, The revolutionary star mobiles of the moment are iPhone and an Android phones but Windows Phone 7 seems to be suffering some congenital defects that may hinder its growth. Foremost among these is its lack of backward compatibility with the installed base of Windows Mobile. A failure that prevents the publisher to capitalize on its existing ecosystem. This is all that second birth defect, Windows phone is devoid of embedded database, which rejects the very idea of a port for most Windows Mobile applications.

Over 90% of current applications will remain on Windows Mobile 6.x, predicts the CEO for a publisher of solutions delivery management and monitoring of intervention, which is in addition to not having a embedded database, Windows 7 Phone is not multi-task. SO there are much more things by which Windows Phone 7 lacks in pure mobility.

I have gone through the FAQs of Windows Phone 7 where i have found one frequently asked question which exactly meets your requirement.
    Q : Is there a local database on Windows Device Phone 7 Series?

Ans : No, for this initial release of Windows 7 Phone there is no API available for a local database.
    So may be Microsoft would be providing such features in its next release. But for now there is no such support for the local databases on the Windows Phone 7 like SQL or may be some other. I think you have to handle it for some more time on an Online Service only till Microsoft comes up with such updated for its new mobile operating system.

Lacking an Internet on your phone, you won’t be able to contact cloud services in order to retrieve data. In a case like this, it is suggested that your application have to handle the circumstances in some way which can be storing the data in a cache with any compatible format on the device, or inform the user of the lack of connectivity.

It is true that you won't be able to access the cloud service without an internet connection from your windows phone if it has a latest mobile operating system. So question arises is what to do if you want to run thing in an offline mode. There are only two ways to deal with an offline scenario as follows.
    • You can make your own model of data storage on you phone itself which must be in the device memory or you may use an external one but that must be accessible easily.
    • Simple way to deal with this would be continue using the Windows 6.5 or earlier versions on your phone, which has perfect support for accessing the Local Database without an internet connection.