Thread: SQL Compact Edition in WP7?

SQL Compact Edition in WP7?

Hello folks, i just want to know that whether , Windows Phone 7 series supports SQL Compact Edition or not. Or whether an SQL Server version already a part of the Windows Phone 7 platform. Can some one give me an exact answer and how can we use it.

No you cannot use SQL Server with Windows Phone 7 because it doesnt support this. In Windows Phone 7 the current local device for the data are XML files and stored in a isolated place. If you want you can work with a non local Database service such as server hosting SQL to store the data.
    Once you do this then you can push notifications or web request for retrieval of the data.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Its really very sad to know that windows phone 7 does not support SQL Compact Edition. This will not make windows phone 7 a smart phone. I think they should go further to include SQL into WP7. This is a must for most enterprise application as it requires to store and access va large amount of data. The users all around the world requires a SQL Compact on Windows Phone 7.

Yes I agree with all of you, Windows Phone 7 should have a support for SQL Compact Edition. I dont think so it will have a local database other then XML and isolated storage. Also,Mobile networks are too slow and too expensive to be used in accessing such a large amount of data. XML files and isolated storage are not enough and will store small amount of data. Also they are very slow in performance and will waste a lot of time.

No i dont think so Microsoft can come up with this idea of introducing SQL Compact Edition with Windows mobile 7. Ther is no way any enterprise will be coming up with this platform. Microsoft still doesn't able to look at the importance of a full commitment to a mobile platform. It still lacks in some respect or the other when compared to other kind of OS developer services.

Re: SQL Compact Edition in WP7?

There wont be any sql compact edition in wp7. You may either connect to azure sql server (the main reason for not developing a mobile version) or you can connect to sql server with web services.
    Last edited by Harson.P; 08-07-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: External link removed